Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Edward Burke re-enlist

brimarge

This was passed to me by a relative, the answer would seem to me, that he tried to enlist again and was accepted 2nd time around, can anyone throw any light onto this.

Brian

My grandfather Edward Burke joined the Army 4/3/1915 but was not finally attested even though he passed his medical. Edward was discharged 28/4/15 under Kings regulations 392 iii ©not likely to make a good soldier. EDward's age on the enlistment form is 32-8mths it should be 41yr's. All other details are correct.

Now for the puzzle. When his wife Bridget died 20/2/1916 she is wife of Private Edward Burke 3rd Scottish Rifles. How can this be if he was discharged 28/04/15. I posted this question on Rootschat WW1 and no one has come up with an answer.

Brian

The 3rd Battalion was a Reserve/Training Battalion which remained in the UK for the whole of the war. Your subject may have been of use in this area,as opposed to a front line function.

There is no Medal Index Card for a Scottish Rifles of this name,I also checked the alternative title (Cameronians),the only Scottish hit was in the KOSB.

Sotonmate

Have you checked out the records on Ancestry????

Whereabouts did he live??

There is an Edward Burke, born 1874, in the Special Reserve, Chesire Regiment who is a widower - he lived in Stockport

Does any of that match your info???

Brian

The 3rd Battalion was a Reserve/Training Battalion which remained in the UK for the whole of the war. Your subject may have been of use in this area,as opposed to a front line function.

There is no Medal Index Card for a Scottish Rifles of this name,I also checked the alternative title (Cameronians),the only Scottish hit was in the KOSB.

Sotonmate

If it's the same Edward Burke who's in the KOSB, he's from Leeds. (20551 8th Bn) He was killed 14/5/16. He's on my family tree.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=251152

Good try Sotonmate but our man survived the war, just don't know if he took any part in it

Brian

Edward's army number was R/4/091365 Corps-- A S C Remount Coy.

All my mother knew was he wore tartan trousers and he was an MP until he refused to turn in one of his friends, they demoted him and sent him to the somme in 1916. I have read up on MP's in WW1 they were made up of Policemen and x soldiers Edward was neither of these.

Edward came from Durham and died at Bishop Auckland, he had been greatly affected by his war experience and was unable to settle into normal life, living the life of a traveling person on a horse and cart and was of no fixed abode right upto his death.

Brian