Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boot patterns

tocemma

Thanks...

If you see any on e bay please let me know.

TT

This pattern of boot has turned up in several configurations, with and without the speed lacers, ditto the rivet. The pair on Regimentals looks correct but undistinguished, has been there for several months, and is overpriced. A realistic price for those is probably around £400, maybe a little more, but he wants the price of a dated pair. Expect them to hang around for a while longer!

"Nice respesentative collection of ankle boots.

The odd survival of one of a pair and usually in good shape is striking and I've seen this before-not just in your collection."

I also visited the Northampton Museum a few years ago when we were planning to put Great War boots back into production before William Lennon's saved us the set-up costs. Now we sell their excellent boots instead.

The lady who showed me the collection pointed out that sealed pattern boots were always a left hand boot and always a size 9.

Maybe that explains the odd survival rate of single boots. It was certainly also true when all the sealed pattern kit was offloaded from Bicester a few years ago. Lots of rare and unusual WW2 footwear suddenly appeared - but only one side!

Great thread.

Cheers,

Taff

• 1 year later...

The remains of a boot was found inside the main magazine at the Drop Redoubt at Dover this afternoon. The Drop Redoubt was a Napoleonic fort that overlooked Dover Harbour and was garrisoned up until WW1 before being pretty much abandoned until WW2. We found just the sole and it seems to bear the marks in the insole of '170 1918 6/5'.

Would I be right in assuming it is probably a B5 boot, or is it just too far gone to tell? Also could anyone kindly tell me what '170' refers to - a manufacturer code, or is it the size?

We don't have many archaeological artefacts to show the public when we in the Preservation Society open up the fort on our open weekends, so does anyone have an idea how to best conserve it?

Many thanks.

p1150169.jpg

p1150168.jpg

Phil

Being made in 1918 it's most likely to be a B5, or it could be the toecase boot, similar to a B5 and sometimes termed B5 with toecase, though it seems this is not strictly correct. Or it might be the longer field boot - no way of telling from what's left. I doubt anyone will be able to help you with the 170 beyond being probably some sort of factory code. The 6 over 5 is the size - size 6, width fitting 5.

If you go to the Equipment subform, there's a very useful thread on leather conservation that someone's conveniently just revived.

Regards,

W.

Absolutely briliant Wainfleet - thank you very much. I don't have the boot to hand, but I'll see if I can take a photo of the underside of the sole this week, perhaps the stud layout will yield a clue or two?

• 1 year later...

Bobbins. Some of the pictures have disappeared from the thread. Namely the 1899 dated boots and pictures of the B2 pattern. Is it just me that can't see them? Anyone got copies of the pictures?

VMT.

Thought I would add this image of a set of relics including a British Boot found several years ago in a ploughed field, Casualty Corner, Somme.

Regards

TT

post-15846-0-06335600-1349274218_thumb.j

Hello TT

Don't recognise that pattern of boot - is it definitely British ?

Regards, Roger

Hello TT

Don't recognise that pattern of boot - is it definitely British ?

Regards, Roger

It looks like a British B2, in a remarkably complete and good state.

Wainfleet,

10/10! Tis a B2. I agree I was amazed when I found it. Laces intact! No bones inside and no evidence of a body nearby. Alas I am not a conservator and am struggling to presrve.

Regards

TT