Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Records of railway employees

Chris_Baker

I recently researched a man who served with the 1/1st North Midland Field Ambulance, a Territorial unit of the Royal Army Medical Corps. He had very long service and amongst other things was a recipient of the TF War Medal and Territorial Efficiency Medal.

It has since come to light that this man retired from the London Midland Region of British Railways in 1958, with such long employment that he must have been employed by it at the time of his military service. I say "it", as British Railways of course did not exist then and my man was presumably employed by one of the railway businesses that was later nationalised.

It may be of significance that the 1/1st North Midland Field Ambulance was based at the great railway centre of Derby.

My question is: if I wished to find records of his employer, hoping that they might add to what I now already know about his military service, how would I go about it? How do I get back from British Railways to a company of the 1911-1919 era? What records exist of these businesses and are they likely to have any military content?

Hi Chris,

Wiki gives a potted history of the LMS, which might be a useful starting point:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_Midla...cottish_Railway

You'll see that LMS came into existence on 1 January 1923 under the 1921 Railways Act, so I imagine you're going to be looking for one of the smaller companies:-

Caledonian Railway

Furness Railway

Glasgow and South Western Railway

Highland Railway 506 miles

London and North Western Railway (including Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, amalgamated 1 January 1922)

Midland Railway

North Staffordshire Railway

of which I imagine some are more obvious contenders than others!

And just for fun, the full list!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_constituents_of_the_LMS

Louise

My question is: if I wished to find records of his employer, hoping that they might add to what I now already know about his military service, how would I go about it? How do I get back from British Railways to a company of the 1911-1919 era? What records exist of these businesses and are they likely to have any military content?

Chris

There is a man and his wife, Chris & Judy Rouse (who live in Gloucester area I think) who make regular visits to Kew to study railway archives. He does lectures and also has a railway employee database. Do you want me to dig out his details ?

Owen Hales

The National Railway Museum has records from many of the pre 1923 companies. It might be worth trying them.

Owen, thank you - the Chris and Judy Rouse contact would be really valuable.

CB

Not Gloucester but -

Personal details removed, please use the personal message function for this information.