Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signs on Helmet?

Joe Sweeney

I've had this MKI helmet since the 1980's never been successful trying to figure out what unit it might have belonged to and Unit flashes are not my strong point.

Sign is on both sides of the helmet.

Any potential ideas?

img1796su.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Joe Sweeney

I have a tunic to a sniper captain with a red bar like that, according to his unit asignments I deduced the 101st brigade. however, who knows a lot of thes basic shapes and colours could hvae been used by many units and locations. it could be an artillery piece witin a battery etc. etc. I think it might be hard to conclusively say.

Joe

I would agree with Scott that you are unlikely ever to be sure of this, as there are probably several possibilities which were never recorded. A quick look at the Waring ID pamphlet, the main source for formation signs, doesn't show this sign in this size.

Regards,

W.

Edited by wainfleet

Hello,

The 5th Seaforths wore a single red bar in their upper sleeves, as part of 152 brigade, 51st. Division. Photos show this being worn both horizontally and vertically. I have also seen photos of members of the 51st division with the bars painted on the sides of their helmets.

Owain.

Hello,

The 5th Seaforths wore a single red bar in their upper sleeves, as part of 152 brigade, 51st. Division. Photos show this being worn both horizontally and vertically. I have also seen photos of members of the 51st division with the bars painted on the sides of their helmets.

Owain.

Indeed. I believe colour indicated the brigade, number of bars seniority within the brigade.

The 4th Gordons wore 3 pale blue bars (3rd most senior battalion, 154 Brigade, 51st (Highland) Div.)

There is an imperial war musuem photo (IIRC from Arras?) showing this on a group of men crossing a trench.

Chris

Joe

As Owain says the 5th Seaforths wore a horizontal red bar on their sleeves and the IWM Uniform Questionnaires give the information that the battalion sign was worn painted on the side of the helmet. The bar direction was changed from vertical to horizontal at the start of 1918 but the battalion i/d system in the 51st Division was adopted for the attack at Beaumont Hamel on 13/11/1916.

Yours

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Joe..just a stab here

Could this be a Canadian helmet for the 1st Infantry Works Company?

See below on the chart that I re-worked some years back for www.KAISERSBUNKER.COM

(info came from Clive Law's book and other sources)

Would the Infantry work companies be working in areas that would require the wearing

of a Brodie?

Untitled-2%20copy.jpg

Roger,

This is a possibility too. Do you know if they painted these on both sides?

Most Canadian Helmet insignia I've seen has been a single sign on front or back depending on how its worn.

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

As for the Infantry works coy? I'm not sure.

I've seen examples of other CEF infantry bn's helmets painted on both sides.

One was of 28th bn' helmet in Victor Taboika's collection

and a PPCLI helmet. I think I 've seen some others in photos from other collection but I've never seen a works coy' helmet...

Sorry

Roger