Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Bn Someset L.I.

shaymen

Hello All

Would anyone have the war diary/reg history covering the week leading up to 18th Sept 1916.

Got a chap wounded and died on the 18th, had a search but not found anything, although seem to recall it was when Dads Army Arnold Ridley was injured ??

Thanks

Glyn

Hi Glyn

6th battalion spent night of 14th at F. 13. c

7.30am on 15th arrived Pommiers Redoubt. 2pm set off to "non-existent" trench between Delville Wood & the Switch trench. Dug in on this line. 11pm received orders to move into Front Line & relieve 42nd Bde early on 16th. Relief complete at daybreak.

4.30am orders arrived for attack on enemy system in front of Gueudecourt at Gird Trench & Gird Support, (known as "A - A" Trench & "B - B" Trench) which had been captured on previous day by 9 KRRC. Dispositions: 'B' Co in right of "A - A" Trench, 'C' Co in left of "A - A" Trench, 'A' Co in "B - B" Trench and 'D' Co in Gun Alley in support.

A partially dug trench in front "X - X", the existence of which was unknown to the battalion, was all that was gained that day.

Losses were dreadful: 17 Officers went over and all became casualties, 3 killed, 12 wounded and 2 missing.

Of the men 41 killed, 203 wounded and 143 missing

18th Sept moved to billets in Ribemont

The above info from the Somerset L I history

Regards

Martin

Martin

Thanks for that, excellent, just what I needed

Cheers

Glyn