Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 Sappers and Miners

andy1400

Hello.

I recently bought a Victory Medal for a chap who was in 1 S & M which I believe is 1 Sappers and Miners. Could anyone give me any information about this unit please as I cannot find much on the web or in my books.

Thanks

Andy

Cheers. I was mainly wondering if the 1 refered to the Regiment or the Company. I am thinking towards the Regiment. Also was interested in where they might have operated. Thanks for the offer of help.

Andy

Andy

1st King's Own Bengal Sapper and Miners from 1910. "Indian sappers and Miners" by Lt Col EW Sandes RE (1948) is worth a read.. Just about to have my tea. I'll see if I can give some WW1 details later.

TR

• 3 months later...
Guest mosamie

Terry,

Its been many months since you last posted on this topic, but thought you may be able to lend a hand to a newcomer!

My great great grandfather was with the 1st Sappers and Miners I.A. Subedar-Major (Hon. Captain) Mihr Din, Sardar Bahadur, I.D.S.M., M.V.O., O.B.I.

Enlisted on 26-8-1886 and retired on 1-9-1920.

Would you be able to find out more information about him as some of the information i have seems to be confusing in what he actually achieved and where he served.

Regards,

Samie.