Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R G Thin's War Diary

spoons

I've not a clue where to post this, so please move it to wherever seems appropriate.

Something a little different here, I hope you don't mind me posting it.

R G Thin lived in Chalmers Crescent, Edinburgh when he went off to war serving in Ypres with the Royal Scots and later as an officer with the KOSB in Egypt. He died on 24th June 1969 in Edinburgh.

A family member, Ainslie Thin, had his war diaries and has used extracts from them with photographs to make a 36 page booklet for their family history. I was fortunate enough to be offered a copy to read and found it very rewarding. I have now scanned this to PDF and with the family's permission made it available free for download at R G Thin War Diary

The file is about 10MB so will take about 5 minutes over a broadband connection. Alternatively send me a PM and I will put it on CD.

If anyone does download and read it, perhaps you would be kind enough to leave some feedback here for the family.

\Spoons

Spoons,

Thanks for posting. Downloaded in under a minute. Will read the diary as soon as I get a chance. Quick glance and it looks very interesting.

Cheers.

John

Thanks for posting - downloaded will have a look at it later.

Had a quick look, quite interesting,I am at the castle on Friday and will see if I can tally up some of the events with war diary, certainly I have a number of clippings about the incident where the billets were hit by the shell and casualties sustained, I have a few photos of them as well.

Only thing I would say is maybe stick to Royal Scots photos but a vey minor moan. :thumbsup:

John

Thanks for the feedback, I will be passing on the URL of this thread to the family. The book was put together by a family member who is not a military researcher. His motive was to document one family member's war so that future generations of the family would know what was done by their ancestor. I hope we can forgive the odd 'stock' photo used to illustrate his story.

\Spoons

Some of the lads killed and wounded in the bombardment on the billets (a convent).

post-12171-1268259556.jpgpost-12171-1268259569.jpgpost-12171-1268259578.jpg[a

ttachment=119843:04.jpg]

John

Edit - Any effort at preserving a mans memory is to be highly commended, are they related to Thin's the bookselers of old?

post-12171-1268259694.jpg

Edit - Any effort at preserving a mans memory is to be highly commended, are they related to Thin's the bookselers of old?

I made some enquiries and yes, he was related. His brother was in the business.

\Spoons

Ah many happy hours spent trawling the shelves of Thins, sadly missed and not replaced.

John