Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whose SWB is this?

flaxxman

I have just acquired a silver badge with the words For King And Empire on the front. It also has Services rendered as well on it. There is a number on the back, which is B26006. I would be interested to know some history about the person who was awarded this badge with a view to possibly returning it to the ancestors. However that last idea is not set in stone.

I would appreciate any guidance on how to go about looking into this?

F

There are at least two members here who could probably tell you whose it was.

If you can change the title to something like "Whose SWB was this ?" you might attract some more attention !

Sotonmate

B26006 is not on the rifles SWB rolls.

The nearest is B26044 with a Discharge Date of 24 Sep 1918 and it's the first badge on a roll page dated 19 Oct 1918.

The previous roll page is dated 27 Sep 1918 and finishes with SWB badge number B21523.

That might help narrow things down a bit :glare:

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

it wasn't issued through Northern Command at York the nearest I can get is B26032

That eliminates NF, DLI, E YORK, W York, DWR, Green Howards, Y&L, KOYLI.

regards

John

F

You can begin to see that there was no particular consequential series allocated. Having seen a few SWB Ledgers I get the impression that a batch is allocated to a Regiment and whenever it reaches near the end of that batch it applies for another batch,by which time the intervening numbers have dissipated across the nation ! All this entirely dependant on the luck of the draw as to how many servicemen are wounded/sick and become recipients.

All power to those here who have tried to provide an answer to the steady number of enquiries of your nature and are listing the 288 ledgers full of SWBs.

Sotonmate

I can't see it on the Cavalry Rolls issued at Canterbury.

The nearest I have is B26584 on a roll dated 23/10/18. List CC456.

The previous page ends with B24027 and is dated 19/10/18. List CC455

Phil

Having seen a few SWB Ledgers I get the impression that a batch is allocated to a Regiment and whenever it reaches near the end of that batch it applies for another batch,by which time the intervening numbers have dissipated across the nation !

Sotonmate

From the rifles record office SWB roll that's exactly the impression I get too.

Cheers,

Mark

As always with this forum a fantastic response. Thank you all who have taken the time to have a look for me. Well it looks like I will have to search in the National Archive for an answer. I will keep you posted on any developments.

As always with this forum a fantastic response. Thank you all who have taken the time to have a look for me. Well it looks like I will have to search in the National Archive for an answer. I will keep you posted on any developments.

At least you can be reasonably confident that the man's Date of Discharge will lie in the Sep-Oct 1918 range.

Good luck!

Mark

B26006 is not on the rifles SWB rolls

Mark ,

There are approx. sixteen pages missing form the RB/KRRC rolls . probably removed by "researchers " in the past who couldn't be bothered to copy the page .

Chris

B26006 is not on the rifles SWB rolls

Mark ,

There are approx. sixteen pages missing form the RB/KRRC rolls . probably removed by "researchers " in the past who couldn't be bothered to copy the page .

Chris

Thanks Chris - that's very well worth knowing since I'm planning on putting them all into a database over the next two years!!!

Do you have the page refs for the missing ones? I can then annotate my copy of the rolls so I take the gaps into account in future.

In this particular case the pages are as follows ...

List M/1111 (WO date 04 Oct 18; Rifles Records date 27 Sep 18) - SWB Nos. B21511 - B21523

List M/1112 (WO date 23 Oct 18; Rifles Records date 19 Oct 18) - SWB Nos. B26044 - B26054

... so it looks like these are adjacent pages.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Chris - that's very well worth knowing since I'm planning on putting them all into a database over the next two years!!!

Do you have the page refs for the missing ones? I can then annotate my copy of the rolls so I take the gaps into account in future.

In this particular case the pages are as follows ...

List M/1111 (WO date 04 Oct 18; Rifles Records date 27 Sep 18) - SWB Nos. B21511 - B21523

List M/1112 (WO date 23 Oct 18; Rifles Records date 19 Oct 18) - SWB Nos. B26044 - B26054

... so it looks like these are adjacent pages.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark ,

I didn't note the missing pages , it was a case of getting the RB ones into a database , took me over a year .

Some of the entries are very hard to read & there are lots of errors in the service numbers .

Chris

I have a note (cant remember the scource :() of badge B26006 being issued to a member of No 2 Coy 2nd Div Train, Army Service Corps, the soldier being discharged on 15/10/1918 and badge issued from from roll ASC/2848.

Hope this is of some help,

Donny

Not sure if this helps, but the MIC of S/31514 Pte, Cpl & A/WO2 Richard ECCLES of No.2 Coy 2nd Div. Train ASC mentions SWB List ASC/2848.

He also has cards for MSM and MiD, but none show a date of discharge or a SWB number.

No Pension/Service rec found, though.

Adrian