Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Working List

Victoria Burbidge

At a recent meeting at Whitehall between Mel Pack and I and representatives of the JCCC, I was able to produce evidence to prove that Pte. Stanley Nokes, 182 MGC, had been killed in action on 19th July 1916 at Fromelles. Pte. Nokes’ name had been omitted from the British Working List due to an apparent date of death within his Service Record of 30th July 1916. The JCCC was supplied with an “enhanced” copy of his service record, clearly showing an accepted date of death of 20th July, a copy of his death certificate and a copy of a German list of British men, killed at Fromelles on 19th/20th July 1916.

My thanks to the JCCC, to Mel and to all those who helped to gain Stanley Nokes’ his rightful place on the List.

V.

Just to add to Victoria's post, thanks to the sterling work of Howard and Keith, we have found YDNA and MtDNA relatives for Stanley Nokes.

Mel

Just to add to Victoria's post, thanks to the sterling work of Howard and Keith, we have found YDNA and MtDNA relatives for Stanley Nokes.

Excellent news and something of a relief. Well done and many thanks to Howard, Keith and Mel.

V.

Hi folks, just a quick update on Nokes. I have just received a 'phone call from the Mt DNA relative I identified and he has confirmed the lineage and has said he will contact the SPVA. So fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Howard

Excellent news and many thanks go to you all for the hard work and many many hours you no doubt have given to this worthy cause. I'm sure Pvt Noakes is looking forward to be finally at peace. Here's to a succesful conclusion for him and his other 249 comrades

Wayne