Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brass Officer's Pips

Ferguson73uk

Daft question I know, but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good uniform!

Which way should the lugs sit on officer's brass pips sit on the shoulder? In line from the neck to shoulder or parallel to each other?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Daft question I know, but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good uniform!

Which way should the lugs sit on officer's brass pips sit on the shoulder? In line from the neck to shoulder or parallel to each other?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Hello Jonathan,

The tops of the 3 mitres on the stars (pips) and cross at the top of the crown if a major or higher, should point to the shoulder strap button. The lugs securing these rank insignia will go any which way depending upon the construction of the star or crown. I've crowns and stars with lugs at north-south as well as east-west positions and have seen un-messed with jackets with both forms together on the same straps. Stars and crowns were added as one was promoted so it is not at all uncommon to find unmatched examples on jackets.

Cheers, Bill

My father's aide-memoire to me was 'platoons in the attack - two up, one in reserve'.

'platoons in the attack - two up, one in reserve'.

Thank you....I quite like that!

Cheers, Bill

The three symbols on the 'Bath Star' are crowns representing the three kingdoms- hence the motto 'Tria juncta in uno', three joined in one, which surrounds them, rather than mitres, but some examples do look like mitres!

Greg

The three symbols on the 'Bath Star' are crowns representing the three kingdoms- hence the motto 'Tria juncta in uno', three joined in one, which surrounds them, rather than mitres, but some examples do look like mitres!

Greg

Three join to become one............England, Scotland and Ireland.........but what about Wales?

Cheers, Bill

Wales is a Principality, not a Kingdom?

Wales is a Principality, not a Kingdom?

Gwynedd aside, I think you've got it.

Lechyd da! Bill