Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt J.P. Tickle M.M. 25th battalion.

N.S.Regt.

Hi

I have owned for a number of years a set of medals to a Sgt. John Peter Tickle and noticed he had served in South Africa with the 3rd Cheshire Regt.

His W.W.1 records show him entitled to a Q.S.A. but that is all other then his unit that I know at this time. The medals I have to him include a Liverpool Shipwreck and Humaine Society medal 1914/15 star trio and M.M. the last four named to the 25th batt. The Q.S.A. was missing from the group and I have almost given up on finding it. I am however trying to get any information on his service during the Boer war and would like any helpful ideas about doing so. The only other information I have is that he was born on Feb. 18 1875 in Birkenhead Cheshire England and served 7 years in the 3rd Cheshire regt.

Thanks and best regards

N.S.Regt.

Hi

I have owned for a number of years a set of medals to a Sgt. John Peter Tickle and noticed he had served in South Africa with the 3rd Cheshire Regt.

His W.W.1 records show him entitled to a Q.S.A. but that is all other then his unit that I know at this time. The medals I have to him include a Liverpool Shipwreck and Humaine Society medal 1914/15 star trio and M.M. the last four named to the 25th batt. The Q.S.A. was missing from the group and I have almost given up on finding it. I am however trying to get any information on his service during the Boer war and would like any helpful ideas about doing so. The only other information I have is that he was born on Feb. 18 1875 in Birkenhead Cheshire England and served 7 years in the 3rd Cheshire regt.

Thanks and best regards

N.S.Regt.

The Service Papers for his South Africa Service may exist @ the PRO,if he was discharged prior to 1913,You could also obtain the Medal Roll Page of the 3rd Cheshire Regiment for the QSA ,Which he will appear on{Alphabetically in Rank Order}Which will confirm the Award & Clasps,The General Cheshire's Bar Entitlement for the QSA {All Battalions}was:Cape Colony,Orange Free State,Relief Of Kimberley,Driefontein,Transvaal & Johannesburg,+ of Course to those entitled The South Africa 1901,& 1902 Clasps[if Not Entitled To KSA;]So your Great Uncle may have had a very interesting QSA!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

You will probably find that his service records were put together, if he was discharges and recalled to the colours or that his original attestation papers or part of are to be found in WO 363/364. It is not uncommon to find service records in the WW1 service records at the PRO of men who served before WW1 and not during the war and men who enlisted in 1919 and were discharged before 1921. Alternatively you might be unlucky enough to find nothing.

The medal rolls for the QSA & KSA are under WO 100. There are no medal index cards like there are for WW1 medals, so it is a case of searching the reels, but as you have the Regt & Bn, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Hi

Thanks for the information. It would appear I failed to mention that during W.W.1 Sgt. Tickle was a member of the C.E.F. the 25th Battalion was from Nova Scotia. I am also from Nova Scotia and it would appear I will need to find a researcher. Any thoughts on this and sorry for any miscommunication.

thanks and best regards

N.S.Regt.

• 15 years later...

Hi there,

I know this is very late, but I have only recently joined.  I found his LS&HS citation, see below;

A Bronze medal and a suit of clothes to John Peter Tickle, a lad, who promptly swam out and rescued a child who had been carried away by the tide, while bathing near Rock Ferry Slip on the 27th of July 1893.  The child had sunk and Tickle dived to rescue him.

Hope this is some help.

Regards,

Tony