Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Feldmütze info

Guest Michael G

Guest Michael G

This is a Feldmütze that my grandfather obtained. He was an ambulance driver in 3rd Field Hospital. I understand that the Feldmütze is Prussian, but I am most interested in the markings on the inside. The photo is the best I could get, but the stamp states (the best I can make out):

Carl ?angert

Uniform Mutzen Fabric

Coblenz

IR 25

I presume that is the maker, size and regiment. Anybody have any info on the 25th infantry regiment? I looked, but could not find anything. I am also puzzled by the embroidered 1 on the inside bottom band, it is directly behind the cockades. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

4405931591_c2fd15fce4.jpg

4406698872_2d3ecb9c3b.jpg

4406700622_9416b56826.jpg

Mike

You are right about the markings. The order of battle of German divisions is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Army_o...ttle_%281914%29

Going through the divisions is a tedious process but you should find your regiment there, with luck in one of the first few divisions, which will at least tell you the basics about its service.

I don't think that's a 1, I think it is just the way the lower cockade has been stitched back on by the owner.

Regards,

W.

Hi Mike:

The 25th Infantry Regiment was in the 15th Division. After their participation in the fighting on the Somme in 1916, they became part of the newly-formed 208th Division which was engaged around Ieper, Picardy, etc. If you do not have your very own copy of the "History of the 251 Divisions", just say so and I am sure we can fix you up with more detailed information.

Jeff