Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inland Waterways Companies

snavek

A colleague of mine is attempting to put together a talk on Inland Waterway operations around Amiens during the latter stages of the war. I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if War Diaries for the IW Coys. exist at Kew or anywhere else?

Thanks, Keith

Quick search of the NA catalogue doesnt turn up any individual company diaries but there are two references to the diary of the Assistant Director, Inland Waterways (WO95 4785 & 4786)

Quick search of the NA catalogue doesnt turn up any individual company diaries but there are two references to the diary of the Assistant Director, Inland Waterways (WO95 4785 & 4786)
Thank you John, I will pass your information on.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Quick search of the NA catalogue doesn't turn up any individual company diaries but there are two references to the diary of the Assistant Director, Inland Waterways (WO95 4785 & 4786)

If anyone does happen to access the IWT Diaries and there is mention/signature of LT/CAPT/MAJ John W H Piper RE, I would be exceptionally grateful if details could be posted here, as it is a little difficult to get to the TNA from here in sunny Queensland, Australia. John Piper was a Civil Engineer with the IWT who eventually became the DDIWT and was one of my paternal Great Grandfathers. His MIC says he did not leave the UK, yet he broke his leg at Houplines when he fell off a motorbike in July 1917, I assume he got to France without a Embark/Disembark notation in Routine Orders (the dates are recorded in his file) like many of his soldiers, on a barge towed/motored across the Channel as part of normal operations.

Cheers,

Hendo

There are no unit records for the IWT simply because of the structure of the organisation. I will have a through my material to see if I can find anything about the general situation around Amiens however.

TR