Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William Edney, 5455, Royal Defence Corps

basiloxford

Hello,

I'm sure someone on here can give me some advice.

Whilst researching a local war memorial, i've come across this William Edney, who doesn't seem to appear on the CWGC.

William enlisted in Oct 1914, at the declared age of 48, and he joined the Oxfordshire Reserve. Later he was transfered to the RDC in April 1916.

On the 2/12/1916, he was discharged as being physically unfit for war service, after suffering deafness, which began early 1915, and later a swelling in the side of his neck, which was later diagnosed as a tumor.

William died six months later in Oxford, with a funeral at his local church on the 29/6/1917.

My question is, could he possibly be regarded as a non Comm.

I'm not sure what he died of yet, but i suspect Cancer, and i was wondering if the fact that he was discharged to a pension, (15/- a week), and on his service records it states that his disability was "not a result of active service, but aggrivated by exposure on active service", would this be enough to have him considered as a non Comm.

I know it a bit of a grey area, but if he'd died just over six months earlier he would had certainly been on the CWCG, and also, we've probably all seen men who have died of non military causes, with a lot less service being commemorated.

Thoughts anyone?

Barry.

Ps, I anyone thinks it's worth pursuing, I'll willingly send for a copy of his death certificate.

Barry

It is very likely that he will qualify. If you can demonstrate that his cause of death was related to his service they it is a good case. The phrase 'aggravated by' will help a great deal.

However, you must know his cause of death. There is always the chance that he was run over by a tram.

If you want any help, just shout.

Hello Terry,

Thanks for the reply.

I think that the fact that the phrase "aggrivated by exposure on active service" is quite heavily underlined on his service records would give it a good chance of success.

I'll get hold of his death certificate, and take it from there.

Many thanks,

Barry.

Barry

get it in before the DC price rise comes in

Chris

• 1 month later...

Barry

how did you get on with this case

Chris

Hello Chris,

Sorry i haven't been in touch, but to be honest, i sent for the Death Certificate, and then promptly miss-laid it, and to be honest again,

when i eventually found it. i put it aside as one of those things to do later.

Anyway, William Edney died on the 27th of June 1917, at his home in Oxford. He was 56 years old, and his occupation was described as a

Labourer, (General). His cause of death was a, Carcoma of Neck, b, Marasmus. His widow Julia was the informant.

As he was discharged to Pension, and it clearly states on his service records that his disability was "not a result of active service,

but aggrivated by exposure on active service", do you think he still has a chance of being excepted by the CWGC?

I've downloaded his service records from Ancestry, and as well as his death certificate, and i have proof of burial in Oxford, all of which

you are welcome to, if you think it's worth pursuing.

Barry.

PS, i may have another possible non com, but i need a trip to the National Archives, to check his RAF service records. Although he died of Pneumonia

in March 1919, it appears that he was still serving as a Sergeant in the Royal Air Force when he died. I'm assuming that men who died in 1919 can still

be added to the CWGC.

I assume that should read sarcoma of the neck? which would be another way of saying a tumour in the neck, in which case given that his condition was stated to be aggravated by active service, I would think there is every chance of success (I've just submitted a similar case where the chap died of of leukaemia and a sarcoma of the abdomen, the initial condition being considered aggravated by active service). As for marasmus see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marasmus. I'm no medic, but I suspect the tumour in his neck made it hard for him to eat and he basically starved to death. Not nice.

On the other chap, I believe the cut-off is in August 1921, so if he were still serving in 1919 he should be a shoo-in.

Barry

its a good case; please submit the case through Terry Denham. Drop him a PM for his contact details

Have you got a name for the RAF guy as there now records at documents on line available

Chris

Hello Chris,

The Airman i've been looking at is an Aubrey Parrott. He was 22 years old, and his occupation was a Sergeant, Royal Air Force, Electrical Engineer,

and he died on the 9th of March 1919, at the 1st Eastern General Hospital, which i believe was at Cambridge. He died of Influenza and Pneumonia,

with the informant being the resident Sergeant Major. He must have been brought home to Oxford, as he was buried at his local church, and his

name appears on the Church War Memorial.

I've previously checked the National Archives Documents On-line, but it appears they only have Officer records on-line. I've also checked the GWGC

several times but so-far i haven't found a trace of him.

I have found his name in the on-line catalogue of the National Archives, in the AIR 79 series, and hope to have the time for a visit in the next few weeks.

It looks certain that he was still serving, but i would think that we need a look at his service records to be absolutely sure, plus to see what other information

they contain.

Barry.

Do you have his DC already because as an in service death that is all that is required

• 11 months later...