Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Hague AVC

Dev

My grandfather was in the AVC (from family history) and I have got a copy of what I think is his record from Ancestry. His number is down as Pte. SE-12456 and the roll no. next to the victory line has RAVC/101/B7359 -ditto alongside the Britain medal line then the comment Returned (1743.K.R) 8012/Adt. The copy of the correspondence side of the index card has nothing on it and there is no home address anywhere. Does anyone know if there is usually an address and might there be any more information if I send for it from the Archives? I obviously don't want to send if I can't find anything else.

Family anecdotes about him was that he was demoted from Seargeant because he objected to the way the officers treated the horses but obviously may not be true. Is there anywhere else I could check this out please? Thanks. Dev

Hi Dev - and welcome!

Unfortunately a lot of the MICs don't have much in the way of details: some don't even note the fate of the serviceman, even if he's known to have died. The Ancestry copies are direct from the National Archives so I'm afraid there wouldn't be any more detail.

However, there are some real experts here and I'm sure they'll do their best to piece together what they can of your grandfather's service.

Louise

D

You might get to learn which unit he served with from his entry on the original Medal Roll

(that's the reference RAVC/101B7 page359). It's filed at the National Archives under WO329/2104,and would have to be read in situ,there is no online access. If a unit were shown (not all Medal Rolls have them) you could find what your soldier was involved in from War Diaries.

The Medal Index Card implies that he entered a war theatre after Dec 1915 as he has no entitlement to the 1914-15 Star. The "Returned" remark is in fact that the Medals were sent back, for whatever reason. Some didn't actually want them.

I didn't find any Service records, most were lost in bombing in 1940. I also checked the Pension records,just in case,with no result.

Sotonmate

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't think I would ever get to the Archives.

If the medal was returned would it be possible to claim it after all this time? Thanks. Dev.