Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MGC Company patches

tocemma

Hello all,

I've been digging through the collection the past few days and thought these photos might be of interest. They show MGC unit patches, presumably of provided by the individual Companies themselves.

The first shows an eastern temple or a mosque, embroidered on a dark coloured diamond patch. The number appears to be 221 which would make this a Company which served in India from May 1917. I don't have anything else on this Coy., so would be grateful if someone could assist.

The second shows what looks like a drill patch with the embroidered numbers 115. This Coy served on the Western Front, again I would be pleased to have a little more info.

Regards

Tocemma

I think the last photo actually shows the numeral of 115th Training Reserve Battalion which originally formed part of the Reserve Battalions of the MGC. I haven't got one of my books here which lists all the TR Bn's so I can't tell you who formed what, but believe there were at least 6 possibly 8 reserve battalions of the MGC formed from the Training Rserve.

TE--Graham,

The 113 thru 116 TR Bns were raised at Clipstone in April/May 1918--115 on 29 April 18. This became G Bn of the MGC.

Joe Sweeney

Cheers Joe - these particular TR battalions don't seem to have been formed from Reserve battalions of line regiments as the remainder were and appear as 'new' TR battalions before becoming a Reserve Bn of the MGC. I believe the 84th, 85th & 86th TR Bn's formed 'A', 'B' & 'C'(Reserve)Bn's, MGC.

Hi

heres the band of 114th TR Bn, the Bandmaster is 6th DLI or wearing an Officers bronzecap badge and the Sergeant is also DLI and there are NF, DWR and a Gloucester among them, However the majority have the 114 Cloth Cap Badge. Nothing painted on the drum though.

regards

John

post-27843-1267730016.jpg

Nice one - and a TR rarity.