Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Comrades in arms!

tocemma

Hello all,

Came across this whilst going through some photographs. Using the 14 pattern waistbelt as a rough scale, it makes the Middlesex chap on the left 4' 10-11" and the Gunner on his left 6' 7"!

I wonder if Joe Sweeney can come up with the tunic sizes....

Must make the Gunner one of the tallest men in the Army at the time, and makes our Middx. man under the minimum size.

Anyone care to comment.

Regards

Tocemma

post-7141-1267649163.jpg

Nice photo; the faces in the window add interest. Looks like 'Bisley Camp' given at the bottom?

Plenty of other contenders for the tallest (and shortest) though! Click

NigelS

Looks like a job for the unit tailors.

Might have been able to sort out the missing button on the little chaps jacket... :innocent:

I can tell you who the Shortest British Soldier to serve in the Great War was...He was Corporal Henry Thridgould,from New York,who served in the 21st Battalion, Middlesex Regt...His Height was 4 feet 9 Inches.

Nigel's link has the above. I suspect this might be Corp. Thridgould....

Tocemma

I can tell you who the Shortest British Soldier to serve in the Great War was...He was Corporal Henry Thridgould,from New York,who served in the 21st Battalion, Middlesex Regt...His Height was 4 feet 9 Inches.

Nigel's link has the above. I suspect this might be Corp. Thridgould....

Surely FC Wittman (albeit an Australian, but serving in the British Army) at only 3 foot 8 has to be the shortest? The same thread, post 30, has his picture:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...69924&st=25

The Germans allowed extremely short men into their army, too. The one on the left is in a tench-mortar company, and the one on the right is in some kind of explosive-ordnance disposal unit.

post-7020-1267667037.jpg

post-7020-1267667116.jpg

If it was Corporal Henry C Thridgould 16829 Middlesex Regiment, 119704 Labour Corps, then it seems he was born in March 1880 in Mile End Old Town. This would make the Middlesex his local Regiment.

There is a Henry Thridgould shown on Ancestry as leaving New York in 1938 and arriving in Southampton. His birth is also shown as 1880. I guess they are one and the same man. Anyone know anything more about him? It certainly seems to be the same man as on the cover of the Bantams book. I don't have a copy of the book, so don't have a clearer image of him.

His age would be about 35, if as I would guess, the photo was taken in 1915.

I am intrigued by this. I have had this photo for years and have never looked into it.

Regards

Tocemma

I remember this photo being described in Sidney Allinson's "The Bantams," but the photo was never included with the plates.