Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KRRC cloth shoulder titles

tocemma

Hello all,

The subject of KRRC cloth slip on titles came up recently in the thread on Regimental buttons. I though pals might like to see these examples in my collection. The khaki ones are obviously GW period but I am less certain about the red on rifle green examples. The style would certainly seem to indicate GW origin, but does anyone have any definite info on these?

Kind regards

Tocemma

White on khaki printed

post-7141-1267623479.jpg

red on khaki embroidered

post-7141-1267623563.jpg

straight red on rifle green

post-7141-1267623597.jpg

curved red on rifle green

post-7141-1267623652.jpg

TE

The White on Drab Oil painted is pattern 8307/1915--The number 8307 was hard to read so it might be off--Circa approval May June 1915.

The Embroidered Red on Drab is pattern 8780/1916 pattern sealed on 2 May 1916 and meant to supercede the oil-painted.

Of all the Regular units I think only KRR (Red), S.R (Black), RIR (Green) and RB (Green) had non white embroidery.

These were apparantly sized--Size 2 was 2" and size 3 ~1 1/4"--- don't know what size 1 was but assume it was the big one for Guards, Manchesters--unites with bugles or Bombs etc.

DEOS permission to sew on the shoulder came in April 1916 with a further directive by GHQ BEF in FEB 1917 that this was the onloy acceptable way to wear the slip-ons.

The Red on Rifle Green I could not find in wartime records, but have not done an exhaustive search.

Joe Sweeney

I thought pals might like to see these examples in my collection.

Tocemma

You've made this particular Pal's day! :D

Thanks a million!

Mark

Joe,

Many thanks as always. I guess the DOWs below and the RDF are size 1. As you say they seem to be three sizes here.

Mark, A pleasure.

Regards

Tocemma

post-7141-1267644500.jpg

post-7141-1267644546.jpg

post-7141-1267644575.jpg

TE,

Nice set. I never really collected these and only have a few real common ones- My interest recently has peaked though.

The RF one looks like one that recently went on EBAY.

Joe Sweeney

post-7141-1267644575.jpg

Very nice, intrigued to see the MGC I one!

Very well spotted Mr Sweeney! Before anybody asks no, the others aren't for sale and won't be on ebay tomorrow either! They are in a frame in my study, where they are staying (ps I have more than one RF title,but don't tell anybody)

Regards

Tocemma

Keep these photos coming.

This has recently become an area of interest for me--Unfortunately, I was starting think this was still a relatively inexpensive collecting route until I bid on a RF and CG :wacko: titles on Ebay that went through the roof.

Joe Sweeney

I was starting think this was still a relatively inexpensive collecting route until I bid on a RF and CG :wacko: titles on Ebay that went through the roof.

I agree Joe. They were a good way of scratching my collecting itch when funds were low; but once one gets past the obvious and easy ones - RFA, Suffolk, DLI etc - it can get a bit exciting. The main danger on eBay is a Cornwall-based collector - eBay ID Mametz - who collects cloth. If he hasn't got it, then no-one stands a chance as money seems to be no object for him.

That said, in retrospect, a lot of collecting now feels as if it was 'relatively' inexpensive 5, 10 and 20 years ago; as some prices are now eyewatering; and seem to defy inflation and other economic mores.

I'm glad I amassed the bulk of mine when carefree, single etc and before I became a, er, 'responsible' adult.

Best wishes,

GT.

I'm pleased to say I've never been a responsible adult. The collector GT mentioned has a very large collection of WW1 cloth (500+ pieces) and I suppose the bits you still require can get progressively more expensive!

Although I stopped purchasing WW1 kit sometime ago, prices were relatively strong even then. I am relieved that I don't have to pay some of the current prices though.

As a diversion I now collect WW2 armoured vehicles. Unfortunately these have also seen astronomic rises in value in recent years. Recession, what recession? Doesn't help that Ruski oil barons now seem to have taken an interest in them....

Equally unfortunate is the fact that most British WW2 vehicles were built for highly greased racing snakes. I rarely emerge from a vehicle with the skin on my knuckles or forehead intact or without being lightly par boiled for several hours. I love them though! Every time it renews my respect for the vehicle crews. One of the joys of this is that I can still talk to the veterans. One of the hardiest of which still regularly clambers inside my Daimler. Rather embarassingly for me he still seems to do this with a certain style. I look like a coal delivery when I get in.

After all we are collectors. To quote the Marx Brothers 'There ainta no Sanity Clause'

Regards

Tocemma