Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lady Cory Wright

Gibeltarik

Good morning one and all,

Would anyone be able to assist with an image of the Great War ammunition ship Lady Cory Wright please?

I am aware she was sunk by a U Boat (UC17) shortly after sailing from Devonport on the 26 March 1918

Many thanks

Gibeltarik

GIB, nothing re pic of L.C.W, which I would like also, so hope someone comes up with one - but here are details of one submariner (on passage) lost in the ship. Also among the lost was an Aussie sailor.

Sadsac

JARVIS HARRY PO D/ 210475 NE RN HMS ADAMANT 26.03.18 Z 33 220385 C F I

PLYMOUTH 26 PLYMOUTH 6 - 393

Husband of Ellen Maud Jarvis, of 15 Martin Terrace, Keyham, Devonport.

Killed in action with submarine in English Channel.

MFA LADY CORY WRIGHT.

No log for HMS ADAMANT for this date.

HMS ADAMANT. 188 / 367. NP 3072 / 18.

P.o.B ; Brixton, London. Occ ; Errand Boy.

Sadsac

No luck with a picture of the ship, but I did find this:

charles_earnest_jones.JPG

Charles Ernest JONES (son of Charles Edward William JONES and Florence Edith (nee FIRTH) probably taken during training.

He lost his life aged 18 (in 1918) on HMS Lady Cory Wright, sunk by German U-boat 12 miles off Lizard, Cornwall - mentioned on memorial in Plymouth.

Also:

IN Memory of

Stoker JOSEPH FORREST

3138S, H.M.S. "Lady Cory Wright", Royal Naval Reserve

Who Died Age 30

ON 26 March 1918

Son of William and Mary Forrest,

of 8, Oxford St., Stockton-on-Tees

husband of Lily Forrest

of 25, Catholic St., Stockton-on-Tees.

REMEMBERED WITH HONOUR

CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL,

Kent

And:

HOAR, George Edwin Rogers

Shipwright 344409, H.M.S. Lady Cory Wright, Royal Navy. Died 26th March 1918. Aged 31. Son of William George Hoar and the late Marcella Hoar; husband of Florence E. Hoar, of 13, Wellington St., Torpoint, Cornwall. No known grave. Commemorated on PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL, Devon. Panel 28.

And:

ARCHER, Ernest, Ordinary Seaman, J 57313 (Ch), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

And:

Name: ROBERTS, FRANK CLIVE

Initials: F C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Lady Cory Wright."

Date of Death: 26/03/1918

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 28.

Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

And:

In Memory of

JOHN COWIE

Stoker

8719S

H.M.S. "Lady Cory Wright.", Royal Naval Reserve

who died on

Tuesday, 26th March 1918. Age 21.

Additional Information:

Son of William and Dorothy Cowie, of 14, York St., Wheatley Hill Colliery, Co. Durham.

And:

AB James G SPEAR, `Lady Cory Wright', 1918

And:

E.E. SHAW

Sub-Ltn

Age 30 Royal Naval Reserve HMS Lady Cory Wright

Husband of Winifred Shaw 2 Minard Road Catford

And:

COLLINS, Edward, Stoker, RNR, U 2215, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

Also:

THOMPSON, A.

Stoker P.O. Lady Cory Wright 1918 Drowned – sunk by sumarine

Will keep poking around.

-Daniel

• Admin

Again no picture but another Stainland man we're researching who was lost on the vessel was Leonard Gledhill RN Ordinary Seaman J/73250 age23.

I notice someone on Ancestry was looking for a picture of the ship in 2001, but apparently no replies, if you find one let me know and I'll do likewise, may I ask your interest?

Ken

Ken

Gladly.

I have a gap in my web site www.historicalrfa.org

Chris

aka

Gibeltarik

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I have been researching my family for a few years now and discovered that my great grandfather died on Lady Cory Wright, he was Joseph Forrest:

IN Memory of

Stoker JOSEPH FORREST

3138S, H.M.S. "Lady Cory Wright", Royal Naval Reserve

Who Died Age 30

ON 26 March 1918

Son of William and Mary Forrest,

of 8, Oxford St., Stockton-on-Tees

husband of Lily Forrest

of 25, Catholic St., Stockton-on-Tees.

REMEMBERED WITH HONOUR

CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL,

Kent

I was wondering if anyone had any more information/knows where I can find information on Joseph. I don't even have a photograph and would love to find out more about him or this incident, be it stories, facts and figures etc. If I can help anyone out with anything I would be only too glad to help.

Thank you for any help,

Laura.

Laura

This appears to be a bit of a conundrum. The Lady Cory-Wright was a built in 1906 for Cory Colliers, by S.P. Austin and Son. She was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine 14 miles South, South West of the Lizard on March 26th, 1918. The captain and 38 men were killed. At a guess I would say, as a collier, she was in Admiralty service at this stage of the war and had some RN personnel on board.

Source: Dictionary of Disasters at Sea During the Age of Steam 1824-1962, Charles Hocking.

TR

• Admin

Not really a conundrum, The Lady Cory Wright was requisitioned/hired on 5 August 1914 and used as a mine carrier, she was crewed by RN and RFA personnel and torpedoed off the Lizard, as Chris's website above describes

http://www.historicalrfa.org/rfa-lady-cory-wright (no doubt he'll be along soon!)

Naval Records have recently been released at the National Archives I'm not an navy person but I don't think they include the Royal Navy Reserve

He was easy to find on the 1911 Census (age 23)

If you Google The Lady Cory Wright there is quite a lot of info including a (modern- probable) picture of the wreck (or what's left of her) given her cargo she probably blew up when hit hence the single survivor

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?81949

As above shows still looking for a picture.

Ken

Careful, lads, one of the top results in Google for Lady Cory Wright tried to load a virus on my computer: 'Cory Colliers Fleet List - Ships Nostalgia'....avoid!!

-Daniel

Found these in my database:

ARCHER, Ernest, Ordinary Seaman, J 57313 (Ch), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

BARTON, Joseph C, Ship's Assistant Steward, M 6157 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

BEATON, Donald Cook MMR 105780 HMS Lady Cory Wright killed 26.3.18

BELTON, John, Seaman, RNR, A 5003, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

BLACKWOOD, Frederick George 3rd Engineer MMR HMS Lady Cory Wright killed 26.3.18

BOYD, Henry, Lance Corporal, RMLI (RMR B 1044), 14258 (Ply), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

BUTLER, Edward, Seaman, RNR, D 1991, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

CHATER, Charles W, Sub Lieutenant, RNR, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

CLEAR, Frederick, Able Seaman, RNVR, ZP 2032, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

COLLINS, Edward, Stoker, RNR, U 2215, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

COOK, James Assistant Officer’s Steward MMR 937037 HMS Lady Cory Wright killed 26.3.18

COWIE, John, Stoker, RNR, S 8719, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

FLETCHER, Gilbert, Stoker, RNR, S 7048, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

FLINT, George W, Signalman, J 24584 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

FORREST, Joseph, Stoker, RNR, S 3138, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

FREEMAN, Frederick (real name, but served as Frederick Bird), Stoker, RNR, S 6987, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

GLEDHILL, Leonard, Ordinary Seaman, J 79250 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

GRANT, William, Petty Officer 1c, 191115 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

HAIGH, Oliver, Able Seaman, J 52167 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

HARTLEY, James O, Ordinary Seaman, J 69680 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

HINDMARSH, Michael J, Ty/Engineer Lieutenant, RNR, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

HOAR, George E R, Shipwright, 344409 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

HOWLETT, James Officer’s Steward MMR 891732 HMS Lady Cory Wright killed 26.3.18

JARVIS, Harry, Petty Officer, 210475 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

JONES, Charles E, Ordinary Seaman, J 79340 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

KING, Alfred J, Stoker, RNR, U 1981, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

LANGWORTHY, Arthur J, Leading Seaman, RNR, A 7412, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

McCARTHY, John W, Stoker, RNR, S 3874, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

MEADOWS, Arthur J, Able Seaman, RNVR, London Z 4982, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

PARSONS, Reginald L, Ty/Paymaster, RNR, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

PEGLER, Albert H, Able Seaman, J 30168 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

POLLARD, Thomas Richard 4th Engineer MMR HMS Lady Cory Wright killed 26.3.18

RICHARDSON, Daniel, Ty/Lieutenant, RNR, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

RILEY, William E, Seaman, RNR, D 2136, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

ROBERTS, Frank C, Ty/Engineer Sub Lieutenant, RNR, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

SHAW, Ernest E, Ty/Sub Lieutenant, RNR, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

SIMPSON, James, Telegraphist, RNVR, Mersey Z 1831, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March1918, ship lost

SPEAR, James G, Able Seaman, 199200 (Dev), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

TAYLOR, Leonard E N, 3rd Mate, MMR, (service number not listed), Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

THOMPSON, Alfred, Stoker, NZNF 1216, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

WHITE, William E, Ordinary Seaman, RNVR, London Z 5684, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

WRIGHT, James, Seaman, RNR, D 1766, Lady Cory Wright, 26 March 1918, ship lost

Cheers Ron

without taking my socks off, I make that 42....

I recall that 39 was the "official" number of deaths...

Hi Kevin

Yes I noted that, but that is often the case when double checking. Some of those were MMR and I noted one guy was in the Royal Marines too

Cheers Ron

BUTLER, EDWARD. Rank: Seaman. Regiment or Service: Royal Naval Reserve. Unit: H. M. S. "Lady Cory Wright. " Age at Death: 38. Date of Death: 26-March-1918. Service No: 1991D. Supplementary information; Son of Nicholas and Martha Butler of 24, Parnell St, Wexford; husband of Annie Butler of 24, Parnell St, Wexford.

From an article in the Enniscorthy Guardian; Lost at Sea; Official intimation reached Mrs Butler, Parnell Street, Wexford, on Saturday that her husband, Edward Butler, was lost at sea, being one of a crew whose vessel was torpedoed, he was attached to the Irish Lights before volunteering. Grave or Memorial Reference: 29. Memorial: Plymouth Naval Memorial UK.

• 9 months later...
Guest Bladders

Hi everyone - I'm a newbie here

I am the Great Grand Nephew (newly discovered) of Frank Clive Roberts....

My newly discovered Cousin (Carol) apparently has a photocopy of an original photo of the Lady Cory Wright, as well as a photograph of the ships company of 1917.

I am hoping to post these photographs in th enear future.

Martin

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone - I'm a newbie here

I am the Great Grand Nephew (newly discovered) of Frank Clive Roberts....

My newly discovered Cousin (Carol) apparently has a photocopy of an original photo of the Lady Cory Wright, as well as a photograph of the ships company of 1917.

I am hoping to post these photographs in th enear future.

Martin

Hello,

My great-grandfather died in this wreckage and I would be very curious to see these pictures if you are still able to access them?

Thanks for any help or information.

Laura

• 1 year later...

Just saying a big THANKS to "silent warrior" above. I'm looking for the War dead of my town (Whitehead, Co. Antrim) and your list just multiplied what I knew about Harry Boyd by a factor of ten. Or more!

• 10 years later...

I'm currently researching the men named on the William Cory & Son Ltd. Roll of Honour.  Several of these men were serving aboard the Lady Cory Wright at the time of their deaths: so far I've found: 

Engineer Lieut. M.J. Hindmarsh, Royal Naval Reserve;

Lieut. D. Richardson, Royal Naval Reserve;

Engineer Sub-Lieut. F.C. Roberts, Royal Navy;