Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain's Pips

Ferguson73uk

Hello All.

I'm looking for some captain's cloth sleeve pips to sew onto a WW1 repro officer's jacket as part of our Western Front Association display in Cardiff for Armed Forces Day in June.

Any ideas where I can obtain them?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Hello,

I listed a set of originals on eBay just weeks ago that no one wanted....not even with a start price of $9.95. Gone now. You might try Roy Dupuy at Mess Dress, Charlie at Pass In Review or either Dean or Rick at Great War Militaria. You can google them. Good Luck.

Cheers, Bill

Schipperfabrik does some not terribly good copies:

http://www.schipperfabrik.com/brit_insignia.html

Some well worn originals on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brirtish-Commonwealth-...=item518d553a20

Have sent an email regarding Cardiff as well.

Thanks, lads.

One more question - would, say, three cloth pips for a captain be worn on the sleeve AND three brass pips on the epaulette, or would it be one or the other depending on the period?

Jonathan

One more question - would, say, three cloth pips for a captain be worn on the sleeve AND three brass pips on the epaulette, or would it be one or the other depending on the period?

Usual practice is only wear one set of rank - if pips are on the sleeves, there should be none on the shoulders, and if the pips are on the shoulders there should be none on the sleeves. The exception to the latter is the odd period photo which shows an officer with the braid on the sleeves, but either cloth or metal pips worn on the shoulder.