Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID Badges worn by lady

BSM

A mate has asked if the badges worn by the lady in the attached image can be identified. The lady was born in 1864 which would date them somewhat. Any member assist please....Regards....Rod

post-36102-1267489138.jpg

I've zoomed in a bit ...

post-20192-1267495151.jpg

Looks like either "16" or "18" in a garter star.

Victorian version of the Bedfordshires without the Hertfordshire hart and maltese cross ??? I'm guessing here though :whistle:

Cheers,

Mark

Mark thanks for the quick response. From another forum it has been suggested that it is a

New Zealand Reinforcement badge and the chap was good enough to enclose an image of a

"solid" version which I will attach. There is some difference between the scrolls. Definitely

food for thought. The anchor could be Naval origin or simply a piece of civvy jewelery.

Regards....Rod

I've zoomed in a bit ...

post-20192-1267495151.jpg

Looks like either "16" or "18" in a garter star.

Victorian version of the Bedfordshires without the Hertfordshire hart and maltese cross ??? I'm guessing here though :whistle:

Cheers,

Mark

post-36102-1267571041.jpg

The riband is wrong on the solid version. There are words on the outer sections on the brooch but the solid version has them shorter and plain, with the words New Zealand under the star. I'd say there were at least four if not five words n the brooch's motto. With the neck-pin being a fouled anchor, could this be a Navy or Marines memento rather than of the Army?

Keith

The riband is wrong on the solid version. There are words on the outer sections on the brooch but the solid version has them shorter and plain, with the words New Zealand under the star. I'd say there were at least four if not five words n the brooch's motto. With the neck-pin being a fouled anchor, could this be a Navy or Marines memento rather than of the Army?

Keith

Keith thanks for the input. Concur with your observations. What is interesting I think is the similarity of the centre piece on both

items. Anyway thanks again and your thoughts have already been passed on. Wasn't aware of the reinforcement badge so that

was a knowledge addition. Regards....Rod

I've just been to the National Memorial Arboretum with a friend and we came across a new memorial to the Household Division, which has the badges of the individual regiments prominently displayed. Two had similar stars as their centre-piece and my friend rightly observed that they could just as easily have been from a police helmet. It would seem that motif was used over quite a wide range of badges - not that it helps your research much....!

Keith

I've just been to the National Memorial Arboretum with a friend and we came across a new memorial to the Household Division, which has the badges of the individual regiments prominently displayed. Two had similar stars as their centre-piece and my friend rightly observed that they could just as easily have been from a police helmet. It would seem that motif was used over quite a wide range of badges - not that it helps your research much....!

Keith

My sentiments also. Thanks again. We can but try to assist as they say. Regards...Rod

Two had similar stars as their centre-piece and my friend rightly observed that they could just as easily have been from a police helmet. It would seem that motif was used over quite a wide range of badges - not that it helps your research much....!

Keith

This is the Star of the Order of the Garter or Garter Star.

Mark

18-reos.jpgpost_36102_1267489138.jpg

I'm wondering if the one worn by the lady is just a sweetheart version of this badge. Looking at hers I can't be sure if there are actually any words on the riband at all, is it just a ribbed design?

I wouldn't have thought the riband would have been ribbed to represent letters. It's plenty large enough for letters to be cast and if it didn;t have words why would the riband be there in the first place?

Thinking again, it isn't a badge for the 18th Foot because that was the Royal Irish Regiment and their badge was a harp so what, I wonder, is the significance of the 18 in the centre? Could it be the 18th Battalion Royal Marines?

Keith

The reason I'm doubtful is that there's enough definition to see some shapes but not one of them seems recognisable as a letter. This is strange, having looked at a fair few badges over time I know from experience blowing up images on old pictures, is that you can usually make something out even if it's just a suggestion of a letter. I can't make anything out at all which is puzzling.

I think the 'fouled anchor' neck clasp is just a decorative badge. It looks a bit stylised to me.