Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Maps Location

RDB

I am searching for a location of a relative that was KIA at this below location. (Below are some details of the location that Lt AJ Waley was KIA)

He served with the 12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers.

My daughter is travelling from Mackay in Queensland (Australia) to the area in September this year and would like to be able to put a poppy on his site where he died.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sotonmate, has already given me lots of details on his military records, which was greatly appreciated.

I am asking if there are any Map Buffs out there, your help would be fantastic.

Is it possible to find a google map which would be able to pinpoint the area.

Cheers Ron

Here is the quote -

" Tuesday 31 July 1917 [sT PETERS ST, JEFFERY AVENUE, BODMIN COPSE] Fine.

Orders were received at 1.45 a.m. that zero hour would be at 3.50 a.m.

At 3.00a.m. leading Coys Nos 1, 2 and 3 Coys were formed up 200 yds in rear of the 1st Roy Fus in Artillery formation. No. 4 Coy 200 yds in rear of No. 1 Coy in the same formation. No.1 Coy on left, No. 2 Coy in centre, and No. 3 Coy on right. No.1 Coys’ left resting on ST PETERS ST & No. 3 Coy’s right resting on "F" SAP. Companies remained in these positions until Zero plus five minutes, when they advanced to the attack. 2/Lt C. GILL was killed at the jumping off place. The Battn advanced about 200 yds in rear of 1st Royal Fus, to JEFFERY AVENUE, where they were held up by strong points at J19c.90.10, and in wood between J25b.05.80 and J19c.90.15, & strong point at J25b.15.91 (Capt H.J. COX, Capt H.D. DOUDNEY, 2/Lt W.F. COOPER, Lt A.J. WALEY were killed, and Capt F.C. DAY, 2/Lt E. COHEN (mortally), were wounded from these points)."

This a modern map with the locations marked as I put on the map all marks are in the centre of the features I will also post a portion of the trench map 28NW4.

John

post-1365-1267447347.jpg

This is a copy of the Trench Map.

John

post-1365-1267448403.jpg

Hi John and Bernard

Many thanks for this great information, what would us novice guys do without you blokes. Geat work and well done. The photos are fantastic, and one day we will be able to do this walk because of your help.

I am overwhelmed at the generousity that comes from this forum.

With all this information. my daughter is looking forward to being able to put a poppy in the area where Lt AJ Waley (12th Battalion Royal Fusilers) was KIA. Her Grandfather was very greatful to find out all this history, as he had no idea on where Aubrey (his fathers brother), had been killed, as all he knew was that he was killed in the Great War.

She is also visiting the Menin Gate Memorial.

Cheers

Ron