Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn Lincolnshire Regiment

PabloC

Hi,

Might anyone be able to tell me the movements/activities (and conditions if possible?) of the 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment during the period specified above please?

Regards

Paul

HiPaul

You could try the War Diary here....http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8199344&queryType=1&resultcount=7

Andy

Paul

Your local library might have a copy of Westlake's "Tracing British Battalions on the Somme" which gives detail of all involvements.

If you want a copy click on the link next to LLT at top of page,less that a tenner !

Sotonmate

Paul

Got the diary mate, PM me your e-mail and I'll whizz it over to you.

Glyn

• 1 month later...

I too have an interest in the activities of the 2nd Battallion Lincolnshires in 1916, but for period around 23rd October 1916.

My great uncle, L/Cpl Thomas Hickey No. 8890 enlisted 26.3.1910, through marriage to great aunt Nellie Miller, was killed on that date. He was awarded Military Medal and diaries may give some detail on circumstances leading to award.

I too have an interest in the activities of the 2nd Battallion Lincolnshires in 1916, but for period around 23rd October 1916.

My great uncle, L/Cpl Thomas Hickey No. 8890 enlisted 26.3.1910, through marriage to great aunt Nellie Miller, was killed on that date. He was awarded Military Medal and diaries may give some detail on circumstances leading to award.

Keith

PM me your e-mail and I can let you have the diary for the time

Glyn

There he is, 8890 T. Hickey........in 'B' Company in 1912/13.

Then he served only in 2/Lincs., so his Medal Roll tells us.

His MM is listed on the same Roll.

Dick

Thank you Glyn and Dick.

He also, being born in Nottingham, served firstly with 4th Battalion Nottingham&Derby, according to his Service Record. Must have commited some offence, served 90 days and was discharged 19.2.1909.

Record contains his written confession that he made false statement upon attestation for 2/Lincs i.e. he had not previously served. Lt Col F C Floyd writes note to say well behaved man, likely to do well, shoud be retained. Wounded in action 1st July 1916 and returned to duty.

Sounds an interesting read, I'll dig it out.

Dick