Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Wentworth Day

stephen p nunn

Greetings all.

One of my favourite authors is the late countryman James Wentworth Day (1899-1983). I got interested in him from an early age because he knew my mother's family and often spent time on their fishing boat to get ideas for his books. I have a large collection of his work and have researched his life and written things about him in various newspapers and journals. The problem with his biographical details is there are sometimes contridictions in facts. On the dust jackets for some of his books it states that he - "1917-1918 served in the European War in France, first as a Private, then as an Acting Sergeant-Major in the Dock Rats Battalion".

I have found his medal card and it gives the following information:

Entitled to the pair.

Served as a Private (86004) in 1-London Regiment.

Served as a "T/Sjt" (650270) Labour Corps.

"DPS enquiry ?? 16/3/31".

So a few questions if I may:

Was the 1-London Regiment or Labour Corps known as the "Dock Rats Battalion"?

What is a "T/Sjt" - not an "Acting Sergeant-Major I suspect?

Would he have been in France with these units in 1917-1918?

Any other thoughts re. the stated service v medal card record?

Thanks all.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon

The Docks Rats Battalion is, as far as I am aware, not a reference to the Labour Corps and certainly his LC record has no connection with Docks as far as I can see.

The information on the dust jacket appers to be inaccurate.

His service record is on Ancestry and he only arrived in France in September 1918. Also according to his record he was a Temporary Sgt and not an acting Sgt Major The record is in good condition so I would suggest you have a good look for yourself.

He was attested 6/3/17 and initially in 256 Infantry Battalion - what looks like 100 Training Reserve Battalion (Regimental No 46678)

2/10/17 to 108 TRB

25/11/17 transferred to Labour Corps (Southern Command Labour Centre) then to 365 Reserve Company (regimental no 483578)

22/12/17 to 1st Reserve Btn London Regt

29/9/18 1st Bth London Regt BEF

3/10/18 to Labour Corps again (new regt no 650270) posted to 298 PoW Company (A/Cpl 7/2/19, A/Sgt 24/2/19 Temp Sgt 20/6/19) 298 PoW were primarily used for salvage work at Bailleul and Nueve Eglise

20/10/19 back to UK - still appears to be a temp sgt

Regards

Ivor

Great Ivor - thank you very much. I had missed that. Two interesting things - 1). his eyesight problem which was an issue in GW stayed with him for the rest of his life to the point he was more or less blind at the end and 2). being mentioned as a sub-editor on the Daily Sketch - he worked on papers throughout his life and was an overseas war reporter in the next war.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that the 1/1st (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers) was the successor to one of the old volunteer units of the City of London, which havd several hundred years of heritage. Maybe the Guildhall will have more details.

I understand that the 1/1st (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers) was the successor to one of the old volunteer units of the City of London, which havd several hundred years of heritage. Maybe the Guildhall will have more details.

Many thanks - great lead.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon