Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deal Bn, 63rd Division

Andrew Hesketh

Forgive this request for not being 'strictly' army based, but 3 men of my home village died in the service of the Deal Battalion's Medical Unit (Gallipoli, Ancre, random shelling in 1918). Judging by their service numbers they all volunteered together and were probably friends from the local St. John's Ambulance Brigade.

I know next to nothing about the RND and what little I have gives very scant reference to the Deal Battalion, so could anyone suggest possible books to help me in my research?

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew,

The best general source is Douglas Jerrold's divisional history "Royal Naval Division" which has been reprinted by Naval & Military press (and is therefore affordable and/or accessible). More detailed info on the RND is to be found in Len Seller's excellent quarterly "RND" and Len is generally considered to the the expert on the RND. Deal Battalion, and others, are somewhat in the shadow of Hood Battalion with it's roll call of the good and the great from Rupert Brooke to Bernard Freyberg amongst so many.

You will be pleased to know that the papers almost certainly survive for your men and are held by the Fleet Air Arm Museum records and research centre. They hold the RND service files amongst others.

More details at http://www.fleetairarm.com/contents/facili...es/research.htm

Hope this is useful.

Andrew,

I see that one of your three men died at the Ancre

Have a look at "If you're alive speak, if dead don't bother"

by John Henry Morcombe

It was privately published but I think that I have seen John's name already on this forum somewhere.

One of the book's appendices is Naval & Marine Battalion Casualties for the Battle of the Ancre Nov 1916. Page 239 lists 22 men of the Royal Marine Medical Unit, all of them from the Deal and your man should be included. I also see that this Med Unit (again all Deal Bn. men) picked up 13 MMs on this occasion

The book will also provide a very useful intro to the RMs and their part in the RND and a back-up to those already mentioned by Martin

Regards

Michael D.R.

Andrew,

I wonder if you might like to post the names (rank & serial no?) of your men - it might make it easier for forum readers to add relevant info or to turn up info from the bookshelf.

It worked for someone looking for TFNS nursing records elsewhere on this forum!

Regards,

Martin

Martin & Michael,

Thanks for the excellent help you've provided - I'm sure the N&M Press will have an order before the night is out!

Details of the men (particularly interested in Dunkley, who is not recorded in 'With Full & Grateful Hearts - A Register of Royal Marine Deaths 1914-19' - Michael, is he mentioned in your book?) - all Deal Medical Unit.

Harold Anthony Bailey, Private, 3168/S, died 22 August 1915.

Francis (Frank) Bingham, Private, 3167/S, kia 27 August 1918.

Albert Dunkley DSM, Corporal, 3176/S, dow (probably), 17 November 1916.

Obviously any extra info would be gratefully received.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Dunkley's DSM was gazetted in London Gazette Issue 29736 published on the 5 September 1916 which you can find online at http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ by searching the archive relating to the Great War issues.

I see that Bailey is on the Chatham memorial which implies that he was probably buried at sea. The RND folk who died on Gallipoli and have no known grave are commemorated on the Helles Memorial. From this one deduces that he is likely to have died either from disease of from wounds.

The Portsmouth, Plymouth Dover and Deal Battalions of the Marine Brigade were merged into two battalions in the summer of 1915 (lack of adequate reinforcements) and formed up with Howe and Anson Battalions to form the Second Naval Brigade.

Hope this adds to your knowledge base.

By the way did you manage to find a rich widow in West London?

Guest Neil.York

H.A. Bailey. Died of disease aboard hospital ship and was buried at sea.

A. Dunkley DSM. Died of wounds following the Ancre.

It is a common misconception that Deal prefixed Royal Marines belonged to the Deal Battalion RMLI. The men were short-service enlistment of the RM Medical Unit, RM Divisional Train, RM Divisional Engineers & RM Ordnance Company. These units should not be confused with the Deal Labour Corps, members of which had numbers beginning Deal 6000-S-.

RM Medical Unit is only a general title, and Fleet Air Arm Museum papers will reveal their true unit: (1st, 2nd, 3rd Field Ambulance, or if attached to a Marine or Naval battalion.)

In the posting before this, Dover should read Chatham.

Neil York

Andrew,

Yes, Cpl. A. Dunkley DSM is mentioned, details as you give, plus

Died of wounds 17/11/16

Buried: Warloy-Baillon Com. Cem. Ext.

aged: 21 years

medals: 14/15 Star, Victory & BWM

Universal Legatee

You should be able to e-mail John Morcombe via the members' list regarding obtaining his book

Regards

Michael D. R.

Michael, Neil & Martin,

Thanks again - the extra information is most helpful. I had suspected that Bailey had been buried at sea. I suspect he was being evacuated after developing dysentry. The London Gazette reference is most helpful for Dunkley, as is the confirmation that he died of wounds and the other medals he was entitled to. The details on how the Deal Battalion and the Deal Medical Unit should be viewed as distinct is also massively helpful and helps solve numerous little problems I'd been encountering making sense of all this.

Once again, a huge thanks.

Andrew

P.S. Michael - forgive my ignorance, but what does 'Universal Legatee' mean?

P.P.S. Martin - no I haven't found the rich widow yet, but I wouldn't get too complacent - if I recall correctly your wife did suggest that your demise could be engineered................ :P

Edited by Andrew Hesketh

Andrew, sadly, irrespective of my demise, she would still not be rich. You will have to keep looking!

Neil, thanks for correcting me. It was late and I must have had childhood visits to certain of the Cinque Ports on the brain, though you must admit a Dover Battalion sounds plausible. Of course it might alternatively have been thoughts of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway which was known in its heyday as the London, Smash 'em and Over on account of its accident record!

Andrew,

Your ignorance is forgiven, if you will forgive mine: the honest answer is that I am not sure. However JHM gives this info next to the medal entitlement where one would expect to see details of the NOK to whom they were issued.

The table gives 14 different categories from Widow, through close family and includes

Universal Legatee, Residual Legatee, Executor, Executrix and Legal Representative.

If you are unable to contact John Morcombe, then perhaps we have a legal eagle on the forum who can help?

Regards,

Michael D. R.

Thanks again guys. Michael, I'll pop that question elsewhere on the forum. I'm sure someone will know.

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew

Not really sure what Universal Legatee means specifically. I've only seen it used on the ADM171 RN & RM medal rolls. My best guess is the medal claimant was not the person named on the man's Will Form, but was the relative next in line to receive the medals.

JM