Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help with finding MM citation.

robmoff

I have two brothers, both in the RFA, gazetted for the MM in the 29 March 1918 issue of the LG. I can not find the citations, and there MUST be a story there!

Bombadier Joseph HANKINS 4312/891216 (I have his service record and MIC from Ancestry)

Gunner Percy HANKINS 4578/891382 (I have his MIC only)

Any clues or help gratefully received.

Rob

Hi Rob

Both on this page.

Regards,

Garry

Edit: apologies Rob, the link is for the award not citation

Thanks Gary, it was finding the LG page with both brothers on that started all this!

EDIT It is also the first time I've found anything in the LG in less than 2 hrs and without a lot of blue language.

Rob,

What unit were they with? This post -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/l...php/t42191.html

would seem to indicate

890001-895000 273 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/4 E ANGLICAN BDE (RENUMBERED 270, DEC 16)

or

890001-895000 348 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/4 E ANGLICAN

John

Rob,

What unit were they with? This post -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/l...php/t42191.html

would seem to indicate

890001-895000 273 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/4 E ANGLICAN BDE (RENUMBERED 270, DEC 16)

or

890001-895000 348 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/4 E ANGLICAN

John

Joseph was with the 273/270th BDE, I have no information on brother Percy, other than his original posting was to France. Joseph's SR has him in Palastine at the time he earned his MM EDIT Nov/Dec 1917.

Rob,

The war diary for 270th BDE for the period 1917 Jan. - 1919 June is here -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=0

If you cant get to Kew maybe a forum member can do a look up for you.

John

Thanks John,

A trip to TNA has been on my Must Do list since 2006, and looks like staying there for a long while yet!

I've ask for an estimate for copies of the likely pages, nad I'll see if I can afford them.

Rob

Ah, sorry. Missed this for a couple of days - they are the Hankins of the Peterborough Battery of Artillery "B" Battery of 270 Brigade (formerly the Northamptonshire Battery of the 4th East Anglian Artillery Brigade, and then temporarily "C" Battery of 273 Brigade, before their final B/270 Designation). They were awarded their Military Medals for "Gallantry at (the Third Battle of) Gaza." according to the Battalion History in a section on the aftermath of the third battle of Gaza.

The officers' mess consisted of a deep and muddy hole roofed with two precious sheets of corrugated iron, and it also served as a Battery office. During "dinner" one night there was a sudden loud "ping," followed by a disconcerting upheaval on the part of Lieutenant Barford, a man of large stature; he had been smitten on his broad back by a bullet which had luckily used up most of its remaining velocity in penetrating the roof. The next day Bombardier-Signaller Remnant and Signaller Cant were killed by a shell at the O.P. Lieutenant Longmore, who was F.O.O. at the time, had a most remarkable escape, for he had been sitting between them only two minutes before it happened. Bombardier Remnant, a most capable and popular young N.C.O., only the day before had been awarded the Military Medal, together with Bombardier Standen, Bombardier J. Hankins, and Signaller P. Hankins, for gallantry in the fighting at Gaza.

Don't bother with the War Diary pages - they don't mention the Gaza M.M.s at all. I can send you copies of what is there.

Joseph and Percy were the sons of James Hankins (Jeremiah per marriage record, 1891 census and the Mayor's Roll of Honour from 1915; James per MIC, records and 1901 Census) and Mrs Emma Hankins (nee Smith, married 1890), of 56 Padholme Road in Peterborough. James/Jeremiah Hankins was the Battery Sergeant Major of the Battery (known as the Peterborough Battery, since it was based at the Drill Hall in Queen Street, Peterborough (now under Queensgate Shopping Centre). I think the pictures were shown in the local papers but I can't remember any details of the awards, but I will try and have a look a some bits and pieces later though.

The service record of Percy Hankins is also online but mis-transcribed under Hawkins. The Peterborough Battery originally went to France very briefly in November 1915, before rejoining the 54th Division in Egypt in early 1916 after they were evacuated from Gallipoli. They spent the rest of the war in Egypt (Suez Canal duty) and in Palestine. Jeremiah/James, James William and Joseph were pre-war members of the Battery, with Percy joining in December 1914.

Another brother James William also served in the battery before the war (1908 to 1913) but I don't know about his WW1 record yet, James Hankins senior also has both Service Records and "Pension" records online (the latter under his later Labour Corps number of 427009).

Steve.

The brothers Hankins in the Signal section of "B" Battery, 270 Brigade:

270BrigadeRFASignallersSmall.jpg

Jeremiah Hankins became a postman in 1887:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/25671/pages/665

The General Post Office was on Cumbergate at that time which actually backed onto the yards of the battery.

Steve.

SNIP

Joseph and Percy were the sons of James Hankins (Jeremiah per marriage record, 1891 census and the Mayor's Roll of Honour from 1915; James per MIC, records and 1901 Census) and Mrs Emma Hankins (nee Smith, married 1890), of 56 Padholme Road in Peterborough.

SNIP

Another brother James William also served in the battery before the war (1908 to 1913) but I don't know about his WW1 record yet, James Hankins senior also has both Service Records and "Pension" records online (the latter under his later Labour Corps number of 427009).

SNIP

Steve.

Thanks Steve, we are definately talking about the same folk, as I had found all of the above. I will check out the new stuff, and thanks agaain for your hard work.

Rob

PS my DLW has some Beebys from Northampton and Wellingborough in her tree, you're not a long lost cousin of hers are you?

• 2 weeks later...

This article appeared in the Peterborough Advertiser of 26-1-1918, and while giving details of their army careers had no details of the awards:

post-6536-1268247043.jpg

Steve.

P.S. My Beeby's do hail from Northamptonshire, but not around that way, but I imagine there may well be a link if we go back far enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work again Steve.

Now that I know JW was a Lieutenant I have found his MIC, but sadly no sign of a service record.

Thanks again

Rob

This is a possible officers file:

WO 339/82791 HANKINS J [1914-1922]

Not online at the moment, of course.

Steve.

A copy of Gazette entries for James William Hankins (I believe these are him, and that there isn't another man of the same name).

Award of Military Cross:

Announcement - LG 7-3-1919

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/312...upplements/3240

Citation - LG 6-10-1919

2nd Lt. James William Hankins, R.F.A. (Spec. Res.), attd. A/76th Bde., attd. Gds. Divl. Arty.

For conspicuous gallantry, near Haussy, on 20th October, 1918, as brigade forward observation officer. He succeeded in laying a line practically to our front line, although subjected to intense shelling and machine-gun fire. Three times he alone made a personal and daring reconnaissance. The information he obtained was accurate and of the greatest value, enabling hostile machine guns to be dealt with, and thus saving many casualties.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/315...pplements/12295

(The M.C. citation certainly matches his Army vocation of Signalling Officer)

LG 24-11-1920

ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY.

The undermentioned Lts. relinquish their commns. 1st Apr. 1920: —

And retain the rank of Lt.—

J. W. Hankins, M.C.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/32136/pages/11579

Steve.

P.S. Incidentally, V D Abbott of Park Road, Percy Hankins employer, was Vincent David Abbott, artificial teeth manufacturer, of 16 Park Road...

• 2 weeks later...

More excellent work.

I have Percy on the 1911 census as a 'Dental Mechanic' and had images of him loose among my molars with a large wrench :wacko:

Many thanks again Steve.

Rob