Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie

auchonvillerssomme

After following some of the threads on here I dragged the pictured helmet from my collection realising that I had never actually looked at it, it came with an RA officers uniform and leather stuff years ago. The only marking on the brim is YJ149

I know very little about kit so any info would be welcome.

Mick

Z and Y codes relate to the American made version of our 'Brodie' Mk 1 helmet. The rivets that connect the chinstrap 'bails' to helmet brim would be split like the ones used through the chinsrap on a British helmet. Also the paper adjustment instruction paper in the crown is diferent. Our version was just paper, but the US one had a fine cotton web backing which means the were more robust and have survived more often. Cheers, Paul.

Thanks for that. So what sort of date of manufacture - issue would it be?

Mick

Not sure on that, probably the later part of 1917 US production got going. Regards, Paul. (moved recently-books still in boxes.) I think they were called the M1917 helmet. Sure someone will pipe up if thats not correct.

Now I wonder what story it could tell, ending up in a dusty attic of an elderly ex-RA officer in Linconshire.

Mick