Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment

PabloC

Hi,

I am researching the life of a soldier for a family member who served with the 6th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment, and who died on the 26th July 1917.

I am therefore looking for an account of the battalion's movements/action in say, the week preceding the 26th July 1917.

His service record, although very badly burned and limited in its legible content, has revealed that he died as a result of being gassed.

If anybody could assist with this, it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

The Germans started using new gas at this time - Blue Cross, Mustard. I could give you a general idea as the 9th Sherwood Foresters were a sister Battalion. They were around Canadian Trench in front of La Belle Alliance during that period. Each Battalion was thinly spread as others prepared for 3rd Ypres. The Brigade moved into the line on 16th July.

A number of Gas Shells were used by the Germans on 22 July. Casualties were high with 9th Sherwoods having 100 men killed or wounded in 2 weeks of trench holding.

Do you have his name?

Steve M

http://www.ypressalient.co.uk/CWGC%20Pages...nghem%20CCS.htm

Dozinghem.

Blue cross shells detonated and produced a fine dust, which penetrated the gas mask filters causing intense pain to the sinuses. The men removed the masks and where caught in the Green Cross (Phosgene) shell attack. That was the theory but they rarely worked! Even so the Brigade were probably the first to receive - Green and Blue cross, and Mustard gas.

Should have mentioned that Canadian Trench was the German front line and Hornby ours. If you PM me your email address, I can send some maps of the area.

'A' Coy, 9th Bn relieved the 6th Bn on 26 July taking over the working party duties. As he was gassed and died at Dozinghem he probably recived his wounds a day or two prior to that. During the period the German Artillery used HE and gas shells on the front and support lines constantly, particularly on 21st and 24th. The 9th Bn did a fighting patrol on 24th and had to wear gas masks all the way from the canal to the front line.

La Belle Alliance was in dead ground from the German front line and had dug-outs for the men. In fact on 23rd these were shelled and the 9th Bn lost a number of men.

Before moving to ypres the brigade was based just outside St Omer for training. The Brigade Horse show was also held during this period. The brigade moved towards the Salient on 11th July and were based near Poperinghe.

On July 15th 33rd brigade took over 18th Corps front! The 9th Bn were relieved by the 6th Lincolns on 17th July. Battalion HQ would have been Lancashire Farm, Reserve was the Canal bank near Essex Farm.

One of the 9th Bn former CO's was the CO of 6th Lincolns - Brigadier George Henry Gater (Temp Lt-Col at the time).

From memory he got a 2nd DSO in September 1917.

You probably know that the Brigade fought on Gallipoli, spent 6 months in Egypt prior to arriving in France on 1st July 1916. Took part in fighting on the Somme and Messines.

Hope that helps

Steve

Hi Paul

According to F S Spring in his account the Battalion relieved the Sherwood Foresters in the line on the 18th July, 'B' Company were in reserve in the Canal Bank, with shelling heavy on both sides. Gas projectors were discharged on the enemy lines. The Battalion had already been in reserve to the Brigade on the Canal Bank from the 16th July, and Spring describes it at this point as being in a cutting 15 feet deep with dug-outs and shelters burrowed into the eastern bank. During their time there the Battalion was subjected to heavy shelling which just skimmed the eastern bank and burst on the western side. He notes "Gas shells were being used extensively by the enemy, and night after night we would have to wear our box respirators, often 5 hours on end"

Inter-company reliefs were carried out every 2 nights, one Company returning to the Canal Bank in reserve. Battalion back in reserve in the Canal Bank on 25th.

As you see, there was plenty of opportunity for L/Cpl Wattam to be exposed to gas, even from the British projectors which could create plenty of danger for British troops as well as the Germans

Regards

Martin

Steve, Martin...thank you both very much. That's brilliant.

I don't suppose the diary gives any clues as to what the weather conditions were like over this week does it? Thanks again.

Regards

Paul

The relief would have been the night of 17th/18th but the 9th Bn diaries give that it began at 8.15 pm on 17th and ended at 1.20 am on 18th.

The weather was unpleasant with rain. Col Scothern of 9th Bn said 'The line was in very poor condition and the weather made matters worse. Generally the days were quiet, but the enemy artillery fire at night was heavy, and consisted of a high proportion of gas shells'. He called the two weeks a' sticky time'!

Steve

Paul

I have sent you a pm with address details. It doesn't come up in my sent messages therefore please let me know if you have received it.

Myrtle

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. His name was Herbert Henry Wattam, Reg. No 21562.

Regards

Paul

Started out serving with the 2nd Lincs., joining in January to March, 1916.

Below is his Medal Roll.

MR11385.jpg

Many thanks for that Bingo!

Much apreciated...

Regards

Paul

No problem.

Dick (AKA Bingo)