Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My "mystery" painted brodie

Dan Brock

I've been here before with this and hope I'm not waxing redundant. If so, I'm sorry in advance.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cODTxzY0ZGg/RXhy...00-h/Helmet.jpg

I bought this in '67 or '68, in San Fransisco - for $18.

I was told it was a "1920's parade helmet" and that the "A" represented the 1st Army (Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_United_States_Army)

Unless I'm missing something, the 1st Army existed as a "guys-on-the-ground" unit for only about eight months and lots of those were post-war occupation time.

When the 1st came back into existence in WW2, it was no longer called the 1st, and the brodie was long gone.

My helmet is numbered #ZB51. The rim is magnetic, the shell isn't (duh).

The liner was complete but rotten when I bought it but it was a m1917.

It still has the rotten bits of a felt and muslin pad around the rivet.

When I have $50 that aren't doing anything else, I'll buy her a new one.

So, my question:

Who painted my helmet?

I've looked at lots of (I'm sure not as many as many others here have) painted helmets and they all look as if I may have done the work - and that's what's charming. I'm jealous. Although I love my helmet dearly and don't doubt its provenance in the least, I keep feeling it's a freak.

It's too damned precious.

My theory:

Post-war occupation army; Talented local guy makes a few bucks painting helmets.

I got nothing else.

Really, has anyone ever seen one like this?

And, just because I have the technology, view the callow youth who acquired this treasure, below:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cODTxzY0ZGg/S4SY...1600-h/RS-8.jpg

Front row, 2nd from right - the one with the button. The "Anorak Badge" (I guess) of Rattlesnake School, Missoula, Montana.

Note, in the shot I'm casually ignoring the single-most attractive (to an 8th grader) teacher I ever had, Mrs. Ethel Byrnes.

This was taken in June, probably. I bought the helmet in August.

Sorry, I'm having a moment.

Seriously though, help.

what is this thing?

Dan Brock

1st Army was established on August 10, 1918 in France, and then was deactivated in April 1919. It was reactivated in 1933, and was still named the 1st Army. That insignia on the helmet is "sort of" like the 1st Army Insignia, but not typical. What do you have? Certainly nothing official-- I suspect it was painted by an individual for his own use/interest, and not by any sort of official decree for a "Parade helmet" to be used in formal parades or ceremonies. Doc

1st Army was established on August 10, 1918 in France, and then was deactivated in April 1919. It was reactivated in 1933, and was still named the 1st Army. That insignia on the helmet is "sort of" like the 1st Army Insignia, but not typical. What do you have? Certainly nothing official-- I suspect it was painted by an individual for his own use/interest, and not by any sort of official decree for a "Parade helmet" to be used in formal parades or ceremonies. Doc

My understanding is that there was never any "official" parade helmet - ever. Any such was privately purchased.

Clear on that.

Otherwise, I can't find much information saving that the 1st didn't have many- if any - folks who'd be in a position to commission such a helmet other than 1918-1919 (Some chairborne ranger could have had someone paint it in the '30's but I doubt it.).

And no, sorry, it isn't "sort of" like the 1st Army "A" - unless you've got another "A" that it could be.

It is the 1st Army.

Regarding this same helmet, I've been informed earlier - on this site - that the red bar designates 1st Army, Artillery.

Now, do I have a helmet commissioned by some administrative functionary, doing his thing in Ft. Belvoir or wherever, circa 1930's, in aid of the "extant-but-only-administratively" 1st Army (which would be fine by the way)?

Or what?

Really, I'm not trying to jerk anyone's chain. I've got no agenda. I bought this thing when I was 14 and I'm keeping it 'till I die.

It's one of the coolest things I own.

I'm not trying to make my fortune, I would just like to get some input because, like I said, I don't see any painted helmets like it.

They all look like what they are, guys killing time with paints from the motor pool.

Mine looks like someone paid good money for the job.

This doesn't look, in any way like someone's "murderin' time in billets" project and, with the 1st Army context , it gets more confusing to me.

I know it's pretty to hang on the wall.

That's why I bought it.

It's just that, I know it's got the birthdays. I can account of the past forty of them personally.

If it was some sort of production piece, that would be fine. Something for the tourists (occupiers).

No problem there.

I would just like some anorak input on it - if you please.

I'm up way past my bedtime.

Nice piece of artwork to be hung on a wall rather than worn I suspect.

I'd agree as it would be the only way anyone would see the flag - a species of trench art

There was acottage industry in the US for painting helmets. Often seen are the mimik German cammo style or diary type helmets listing where the veteren served. Often unit insignia was painted on the helmets on the boat trip home or on arrival at the US. The Marines were particularly fond of painting the Indian head and backing and mounting the EGA above. Few believe many US helmets with insignia ever saw service in France and the EGA is not believed to have been mounted on the helmet in France...though some dubious claims to relic helmets found at Belleau Wood with the device have been made. Helmets were spruced up for victory parades.

Note you could even have authentic battle damage added to helmets on your journey home!

I agree a nice piece of decorative art for the wall.

TT

And, just because I have the technology, view the callow youth who acquired this treasure, below:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cODTxzY0ZGg/S4SY...1600-h/RS-8.jpg

Front row, 2nd from right - the one with the button. The "Anorak Badge" (I guess) of Rattlesnake School, Missoula, Montana.

Dan Brock

As the Duke of Wellington said "I don't know if these men will frighten the enemy, but by God they frighten me!"

As the Duke of Wellington said "I don't know if these men will frighten the enemy, but by God they frighten me!"

And he was talking about his staff and subordinate generals (one of whom committed suicide by stepping out of a window in Lisbon)!

I'll have you know that there's a Tony award-winning playwright in that crowd (Not me).

Thanks all. TT the cottage industry factoid really clears things up.

So, this is likely a post-war, commissioned keepsake I'm guessing, so 1st Army's activation dates are unimportant.

I don't know why I never thought of that before.

Certainly post-war (as in 1919-1920)... likely given as a war souvenir to an enthusiatic nephew or little brother. In your case certainly a wall hanger. Nice helmet !!!