Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trech maps lake doiran royal berkshire regiment

cf159qj

I have been researching my great grandfathers wartime record with the 7 batt royal berkshire regiment.His name was william nobes and he died of wounds on the 30 May 1917.

Using John Chapmans very informative site , the battalion war dairy and the royal worcs website I have a little understanding of what he had to go through and the attack on the Bulgars in early may 1917.

I am trying to link up the names of ridges and ravines mentioned in the batt diary with what little maps of the area I have obtained. I have also looked in the national archive where there appears to be a number of trench maps from sept 1917 which may help. Does anyone on the forum know which reference number from the archive would cover the area the royal berks were deployed in?

Many thanks for any help at all!

Ive a small number of trench maps for this area (1:5,000 to 1:20,000 scale) and might be able to help you out here if you let us know the names of these ridges and ravines (saves me having to look-up exactly where the Berks were).

Dave

Ive a small number of trench maps for this area (1:5,000 to 1:20,000 scale) and might be able to help you out here if you let us know the names of these ridges and ravines (saves me having to look-up exactly where the Berks were).

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the reply.. The area I am intersted in concerns the battle on the night of 8-9 May 1917.. B company of the batt moved out from TORQUAY CAMP through TOR RAVINE and PETIT COURONNE. A number of points/ lines are mentioned in the diary including point Z33 AND Y10 as well as Y11. Does this make any sense? Dorset Ravine is also mnetioned. The diary suggests they were supporting the 7 OBLI. Any information onor offline by pm greatfully recieved

Here's a start for you...Z33 (top of extract) and Pt.Couronne (SW of Dojran town)...'Tor Ravine' is just to the SW of this position (following the stream that runs from the 'm' in 'Jumeaux').

Dave

post-357-1267126985.jpg

Tor & Dorset Ravines with Pt.Couronne...

post-357-1267127953.jpg

BerkshireBoy,

I have 4 trench maps that cover the area you mention and are from 1917 - I have also combined them into one file. PM me your email address and I will send them.

Andrew

BerkshireBoy,

I have 4 trench maps that cover the area you mention and are from 1917 - I have also combined them into one file. PM me your email address and I will send them.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

many thanks for your kind response and offer. What a fantastic forum!

Will send you a pm immediately.

many thanks, Nick