Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Reserve

Guest Tankman

Guest Tankman

Chris,

I have looked at the reserve section you mentioned but I am now a bit confused. None of the Army Reserve sections seem to apply to my grandfather, although he was discharged from Section D.

He enlisted in Feb 1916, which makes him New Army not Regular Army.

He was discharged to re-enlist in Feb 1919, which makes him Regular Army ( I think ).

Then discharged via temination of period on enlistment in March 1922, ( 3 Years ).

Enlisted into Section D March 1922.

Discharged Section D March 1926 ( 4 Years ).

Other than the 4 years period within Section D, none of the other requirements match my grandfathers record.

Also was the 5' 3" height limit still in effect for the Regular Army in 1919, as he was only 4' 10".

His original enlistment was in the period when men under 5' 3" were enlisted into Bantum units.

Tankman

He was a Regular: all New Army enlistments were merely a variation of the normal Terms of Engagement for Regulars "three years or the duration" becoming the norm. After the war, the army resorted to several expedients as it discovered [surprise surprise] that it had demobilized too many.

My expertise on Section D does not extend to post-war period, but pre-war it was for men who, during normal section B reserve liability, opted to continue that liability [and the very useful 6d a day paid quarterly].

Guest Tankman

Thank for your input to my question.

Reading the Army Reserve info, it suggests to me that Regulars join the Section "B" reserve first as a requirement, then if they want to, enlist in Section "D" for a further 4 years.

My grandfather seem to only have enlist in Section "D" and not done the requirement of Section "B".

Am I incorrect in my reading of the Army Reserve informatiion or is my grandfather just an oddball in the system.

Regards

Tankman