Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Ebbage

KIRKY

HI got a single BWM named to above, nothing else, presume an Officer as no other details on medal, do not normally

get Officer stuff so how do I find anything out about him?

Tony

Nothing in De Ruvigny's, nor National Roll of the Great War

There's a couple of Reginalds on TNA MIC's - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...rst%5Fdate+desc - one in the MGC / Tank another in the other in the Lincolnshire Regiment and one in the Queens Regiment / Labour corps

Grant

Edit - ment to say all 3 are Privates

Thanks for info, who would get a Civilian BWM? Never seen or heard before is it quite rare?

Tony

I wouldn´t say that a civilian BWM is rare. There was a couple of thousand medals to both men and women from YMCA. I think that the Church Army and as well as the Salvation Army is also represented.

Regards,

Chris

From recollection Bill Stone, one of the last three vets wore a BWM and not a Victory Medal. Why would this be?

Service overseas but not in a theatre of war.

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

Medals named in full, but with no rank or number are often to the Mercantile Marine and they could qualify for the Mercantile Marine Medal too. There are Medal Index Cards on microfiche, in BT 351 at Kew, these are not online.

Thanks Mel-don't often see the BWM on it's own.

They were issued as singletons by the Admiralty. I think service in India alone also qualified for a singleton BWM.