Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brooklands crashes

wizzies

Hi, All:

I wonder if anyone can help me, please. I am looking for information on the deaths of two flyers during WW1 - 2/Lt E J Radcliffe, killed 20th February, 1916 and Maj. H T Lumsden, (CO of the Military School at the time of his death) on the 21st June, 1915

Does anyone have details of the Units they were attached to, and the aircraft they

were flying?

T i a

Andy Wis

Andy, I don' know whether you might already have this. Unfortunately no info on the plane types

From 'Flight'

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...earch=radcliffe

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...?search=lumsden

& from The Times

Wednesday, Feb 23, 1916; pg. 5; Issue 41097; col B

Army Airman's Death At Brooklands.

An Inquest was held at Byfleet yesterday on the body of Second Lieutenant Ernest John Radcliffe, of the Royal Flying Corps, who was killed while flying at Brooklands on Sunday.

The Officer commanading at Brooklands said Mr. Radcliffe, who was 21 yearsof age, was gazetted on January 15. He had passed the elementary flight under dual control, and had flown alone for an hour.

Evidence was given by a flight commander to the effect that when completing a second circuit of the aerodrome the biplane, which was a new one, 'banked' on the right wing. In order to rectify matters the pilot increased the 'banking' and this resulted in side slip. The biplane struck a house outside the aerodrome. The petrol burst into flames, igniting and destroying the biplane. Mr. Radcliffe's body was badly burned.

A verdict of 'Accidental death' was returned. Mr Radcliffe was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. H.E. Radcliffe, of Muswell Hill.

Tuesday, Jun 22, 1915; pg. 5; Issue 40887; col B

Fatal Flying Accident At Brooklands.

Major H. T. Lumsden Killed.

Major H.T. Lumsden, Royal Flying Corps, met with an accident while flying at Brooklands Aerodrome yesterday morning, and was so seriously injured a few hours later in the neighbouring military hospital.

He had gone up as a passenger in a trial flight of an aeroplane. At a height of between 200ft and 300ft there was trouble with the engine, and it was decided to land. In the descent the machine apparently got out of control. and dropped heavily to the ground, nose foremost. The aeroplane was smashed but the pilot escaped with a few minor injuries.

Major Harry Tailyour Lumsden was born in 1870, and got his first commission in the Seaforth Highlanders in 1898 and his company five years later. He was Adjutant of the Special Reserve from October, 1913 to September, 1914, when he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps, being appointed Flight Commander in the following month. He was the eldest son of Mr. William Harry Lumsden, of Balmedie, Aberdeenshire, by his marriage with the eldest daughter of Colonel Thomas Renny Tailyour of Borrowfields, Forfarshire. His brother, Captain C.R. Lumsden, Gordon Highlanders, was killed at the front early in the war, and another brother, Captain B.N. Lumsden, 2nd Seaforth Highlanders, was reported missing last month

Hope this is of use

NigelS

Hi Andy, Chris Hobson's 'Airmen Died in the Great War' has 2nd Lt E J Radcliffe 'KWF in a MF', which I take to be a Maurice Farman, though I can't confirm which type. He does not mention the aircraft in the entry for Major H T Lumsden.

Regards

Steve

In looking at the Aviators' Certificates awarded to pilots at Brooklands during April/May 1915 (From Flight Global archives), all of them were in Maurice Farman biplanes, so there is a good case that Major Lumsden died whilst flying as a passenger in a Maurice Farman biplane.

Steve

Andy

A J Insall talks about flying Farman Longhorns at Brooklands in his book 'Observer'. However he also mentions that some flyers, such as Captain C Gordon Bell, flew B.E.s, Avros and Bleriot Monoplanes.

Unfortunately no mention is made of your two airmen and this added info only adds confusion as to aircraft type.

Garth