Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PPCLI any trace of award appreciated

Desmond7

Military Medal winner wounded again

Lieutenant J. C. McDowell, of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, attached Canadian Machine Gun service, has written home to his relatives at Kinhilt Street, Ballymena, stating that he has received shrapnel wounds in both legs and was at hospital in Boulogne.

He joined as a ranker and has been at the front for almost two years and has been wounded several times. When a Sergeant, he won the Military Medal for bravery in the field and his promotion was rapid. His brother, Drummer Hugh McDowell of the R. Innis. Fus.(Ulster Division) died of wounds in May 1916.

John Chambers McDowell - have seen his attestation papers ... believe there is a book which lists Canadian MMs ... any help appreciated.

Des

Des

I believe this is his MM listing.....http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/298...pplements/10488

A. 11155 Sjt. J. C. McDowell, C.M.G. Service.

There's also a few of his Gazette entries here.... http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/19...d-war-i/start=1

Hope it helps.

Steve

• 5 months later...

Hello I have a copy of his Citation.. It Reads ... :thumbsup:

Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on many occasions and since he has been in France. He has consistently exposed himself to shell and machine gun-positions during German activity. He successfully took up a machine gun under heavy fire on one occasion to the front line having to go overland. His conduct and cheerfulness have on all occasions cheered and heartened his men. His courage and coolness have been a great example during the last 12 months.