Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ribbon ID please

4thGordons

Not my area at all but just picked up a lot of leftovers and trimmed pictures which included this.

I assume it is a medal ribbon (and a watch fob in his pocket) but which medal is the ribbon for?

post-14525-1266899584.jpg

Here is the complete image... excellent 'tache and nicely lit and focused pic.

post-14525-1266899713.jpg

Chris

Well Chris, seeing as its a mono-colour, it can be one of three medals. If pre-1916 = Army LSGC = Crimson, VC = Crimson, COLONIAL AUXILIARY FORCES LONG SERVICE MEDAL = Lime Green.

As the VC ribbon would have a small replica of the VC upon it, I think thats not what is being worn.

My guess is Army LSGC.

Seph

Bootnecks said:
Well Chris, seeing as its a mono-colour, it can be one of three medals. If pre-1916 = Army LSGC = Crimson, VC = Crimson, COLONIAL AUXILIARY FORCES LONG SERVICE MEDAL = Lime Green.

As the VC ribbon would have a small replica of the VC upon it, I think thats not what is being worn.

My guess is Army LSGC.

Seph, have a look over:

Orthochromatic film does funny things to certain colours, and can render some noticably stripy medal ribbons the same colour on occasion.

The small VC emblem on the ribband was only introduced in 1916.

I don't recognise him a VC recipient, but given the "Edwardian" moustache, I'd also have to go with Volunteer LSGC. Perhaps a uniform expert can tell us a little about the tunic (in particular the chest/shoulder padding).

I don't recognise him a VC recipient, but given the "Edwardian" moustache, I'd also have to go with Volunteer LSGC. Perhaps a uniform expert can tell us a little about the tunic (in particular the chest/shoulder padding).

As far as I can tell it is a standard 1902 pattern Service Dress Jacket. The "chest/shoulder" padding to which you refer are the rifle patches - absent on the simplified pattern jacket- but present on the standard pattern (just often hard to make out)

Chris

Just a possiblity if he is called Humphries/Humpreys that it is the Militia LSM 1908!!!

{light Blue Moire Ribbon} Which would be great as I have his MedaL!!

Served WW1 6th Bn @ Home as Instructor