Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry

Gloslad

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out about the movements of the Wiltshire Yeomanry in egypt 1917 to 1920. The section on The Long Long Trail has been removed, so I was wondering if any kind soul had this info to hand.

In particular, I'm interested in a 2nd Lt Frank H Leek who served with the Wilts Yeomanry. He was formally of the Worcs Yeomanry pre WW1 (his papers are on ancestry).

However the research has ground to a halt when coming to the Wilts Yeo service in 1917.

Thanks - ANDY

Andy

How are you connecting the Regiment to Egypt in 1917?

Here are the RWY and 6 Wilts pages from the LLT which cover the Regiment's service in WW1.

http://www.1914-1918.net/rwilts.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/wilts.htm

Dave

I take it this is Frank Harold Leek, with no numbers quoted (just a question mark)?

A quick look at the MIC shows that his Victory and British medals were obtained while he was with the Wilts Yeomanry and the theatre of war was Egypt (no date given) - and yet, I'd say the ink used for the Wilts notification is royal blue while that used for the Worcs service and the word "Egypt" are a more turquoise blue. Can you post it on here, Andy?

Louise

I take it this is Frank Harold Leek, with no numbers quoted (just a question mark)?

A quick look at the MIC shows that his Victory and British medals were obtained while he was with the Wilts Yeomanry and the theatre of war was Egypt (no date given) - and yet, I'd say the ink used for the Wilts notification is royal blue while that used for the Worcs service and the word "Egypt" are a more turquoise blue. Can you post it on here, Andy?

Louise

Thanks both - I'm only going from the MIC and hadn't considered the possibility of Frank H Leek serving in Egypt with the Worcs Yeo. According to his papers from his pre war yeomanry days, he was was with them from 1907 to 1916, although there is no mention of overseas service, just locations within the UK. He appears in the London Gazette as 2nd Lt in 1917 and commissioned into the Wilts Yeo at this point. Louise, I think you may have a point with regard to the writing on the MIC, well spotted (sorry, can't seem to upload the ancestry file?).

I've looked for a 2nd MIC for a 1915 star but can't find one, and according to his papers he wouldn't have qualified. I guess it's possible that he was in Egypt in 1916 but it wasn't logged in his papers due to him volunteering for cadet training - I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion, this ceratinly seems to be a puzzle - regards, ANDY

Dont forget the Wiltshire Yeomanry were disbanded and many sent to 6th Wilts on the Western Front in 1918.

TT

There is a history of the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry by a Brigadier Platt.

Edwin

I've looked for a 2nd MIC for a 1915 star but can't find one, and according to his papers he wouldn't have qualified. I guess it's possible that he was in Egypt in 1916 but it wasn't logged in his papers due to him volunteering for cadet training - I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion

Andy

I think the clue about overseas service is on his MIC. Next to the remarks text is "No R/S o/seas" which as I understand it is "No Rank(ing) Service Overseas" which basically means he first went overseas as an officer. This would make sense as his medals were to be impressed with the Wiltshire Yeomanry details.

Regards

Steve

Andy

I think the clue about overseas service is on his MIC. Next to the remarks text is "No R/S o/seas" which as I understand it is "No Rank(ing) Service Overseas" which basically means he first went overseas as an officer. This would make sense as his medals were to be impressed with the Wiltshire Yeomanry details.

Regards

Steve

[/quote

Hi All

Thanks for the continuing info - I've checked the 6th Wilts Regt war diary, there were 14 officers that transferred from the Wilts Yeomanry, but 2nd Lt F H Leek wasn't one of them.

Steve - I didn't know that R/S meant ranking service, so this probably excludes any service in Egypt with his previous regt (Worcs Yeo). I guess he could have been seconded to a regiment in Egypt, whilst still being listed with the Wilts Yeo - but this is pure guesswork unless anyone else has experience of tracking down an officers whereabouts away from his listed regiment. I guess the next step is to see if his officers papers survive, although I'm not sure how to go about this (other than they are kept at the National Archives). Again, any help would be gratefully accepted. - Regards, Andy.

I suspect this is his file at NA....

WO 374/41480 LEEK, Lieut F H 1917-1920.

They're not available online so either yourself or somebody on your behalf needs to go to Kew to have a look at it. Alternatively you can ask the NA to copy it for you but files vary in size quite considerably so not sure how expensive that would be.

Regards

Steve

I suspect this is his file at NA....

WO 374/41480 LEEK, Lieut F H 1917-1920.

They're not available online so either yourself or somebody on your behalf needs to go to Kew to have a look at it. Alternatively you can ask the NA to copy it for you but files vary in size quite considerably so not sure how expensive that would be.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve - I think you are right, his London Gazette dates are 1917 to 1920. I'll try to get onto this and obtain a copy, probably the only way to solve the puzzle.

Regards - ANDY

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Steve - I think you are right, his London Gazette dates are 1917 to 1920. I'll try to get onto this and obtain a copy, probably the only way to solve the puzzle.

Regards - ANDY

Hi all, Just thought I'd update this thread now I've got the file from the NA.

Lt F H Leek was comissioned into the Wilts Yeo, but immediately attached to the East Kent Yeomary who did serve in Egypt. They were later combined into the 10th Buffs (E & W Kent Yeo Battalion) and saw service in France in 1918. It appears that Lt Leek was wounded in action on 18/9/18 - the Battle of Epehy.

So, my next question to the forum - would any kind soul have access to the war diary of the 10th Buffs (74th Yeomanry division), especially September 1918. As always, I'd be grateful for any help, even just a pointer of where to look next. Regards, ANDY

Hello Andy,

If no-one has the diary, the NA reference is WO 95/3153 and covers the 10th Battalion from May 1918 to May 1919.

Unfortunately it is not on Documents Online yet.

Phil