Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Film - the definitive collection

towisuk

Thanks for posting this Tom. I haven't seen this one before.

The shots of the Fighting Fifth are 1st Bn Northumberland Fusilers returning after the Actions at St Eloi on 27th March 1916, these include those with the German trophies. It was shot by Geoffrey Malins ( of 'The Somme' fame) and was the first official film showing live battlefield action. The whole film of the action in the IWM archives lasts some 8 minutes.

The CSM bending down to pick up the shako at the end of this section my Grandfather, 9234 CSM George Thorneycroft.

Peter

Ok Peter, many thanks for filling in some detail about the wherabouts those shots were taken, and the people in them.....

Its a real archive of film about the "other" WW too.....

regards

Tom

You need to be a bit circumspect when using these photos and films. There are some which they have no dea about (or only very vague) and then they tend to say o, but some they just guess or the original title on the tin is nonsense.

I saw one that was captioned "The President of Luxembourg at a formal parade to meet the Grand Duchess". There is, of course, no such person as the President - you tend not to have them in monarchies. I did point this out, but they haven't changed it as far as I know.

There are others; so Caveat Empor.