Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Car and cap badges

Andy Wade

OK I've been given a turn of the century photo album which has numerous pictures of soldiers in it. The original owner was Annie Chaplin, a lady in Haworth, West Yorkshire.

One picture jumped out at me and I had to show it on here because it's just a great picture of two soldiers in a (staff?) car. Clearly Army but I was wondering about both the car and specifically their cap badges.

Here's the whole picture:

WW1car.jpg

Higher resolution version of the car on photobucket here

And here are their close ups, showing cap badges (best resolution I could get on here):

WW1car-men.jpg

Higher resolution version of the men on photobucket here

I wouldn't mind knowing about the wagon too if anyone has any thoughts on it. It says R A ? on the side of it.

There's nothing written on the back of the picture except some dividing lines as for a postcard and for an address to be written. No words at all.

Edited to add:

Annie had a brother called Enoch Chaplin who did serve in the army during the war. He was 11 years old in the 1901 census so was 25 when war broke out. I reckon most of the men are his mates in the army.

I think you may be right. That might help me narrow down the identity of either of the men if they're local Haworth lads in the RNAS.

I'm wondering what's written on the side of the wagon. Is it RAF perhaps? Or Royal Australian something? Would that be correct for the time? Looking at their tunic pockets, IIRC someone saying that British pockets had straight cut flaps and the Australian's pockets were chamfered.

Perhaps there's no connection between the cap bades and the wagon behind.

Looks like the car has seen some rough riding -- the fenders are a mess!

Yes a Crossley 20/25 HP 4 cyl 50bhp. A standard squadron work horse of the RAF right up until the early 1930s

Having looked very closely at the cap badges, although faint, they do look more like eagles than fouled anchors under the crown, so I'll go for the RAF over the RNAS. What about the tunics, on the upper pocket flaps, is the style correct?

Everything seems to point to the early RAF then. This is excellent stuff! It rules out Enoch Chaplin as he was Army for all of his career (from his MIC).

The car is correctly identified as a Crossley 20/25, here's one in better condition with the rear mudguards/fenders intact:

raf.jpg

Those lads must have indeed been rough riding!

Thanks very much everyone. Fascinating stuff! :D

• 5 months later...

Hi

I can confirm it is a 20/25 Crossley Staff car, a very good photo

All features correspond with the example I currently own except the search lamp bracket on the running board is behind the spare wheel!

http://www.youtube.c...+Staff+Car&aq=f

http://www.youtube.c...ley+tender&aq=f

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?13894-RFC-Crossley&highlight=crossley

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?17075-Crossley-RFC-Tender

Tom

Having looked very closely at the cap badges, although faint, they do look more like eagles than fouled anchors under the crown, so I'll go for the RAF over the RNAS. What about the tunics, on the upper pocket flaps, is the style correct?

Everything seems to point to the early RAF then. This is excellent stuff! It rules out Enoch Chaplin as he was Army for all of his career (from his MIC).

The car is correctly identified as a Crossley 20/25, here's one in better condition with the rear mudguards/fenders intact:

raf.jpg

Those lads must have indeed been rough riding!

Thanks very much everyone. Fascinating stuff! biggrin.gif