Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Bentley Harris, Antigua Defence Force

daggers

A.B. Harris was a serving member of the Antigua Defence Force and, according to an obituary in his former school's magazine, was drowned on his way to or from compulsory training, on 21 September 1914.

He was a native of Liverpool with a degree from Liverpool University and had gone to work in Antigua almost two years earlier. His name is on the University memorial and no fewer than three times on the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour. [There are many similar dupli- or triplications.]

Attempts are being made to get a death certificate and other accounts of his service and demise, and an application will be made to CWGC for his inclusion in the Debt of Honour Register.

Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed.

D

Daggers

best have a check with Terry Denham to see if this is one of the accepted organisations

Chris

Daggers

just hit the edit button on your first post & that will allow you to edit the title

Chris

Thanks for raising this.

I had been searching for him for ages until you came up with his name in full, and the bit from the school. How do you know he drowned?

I will be fascinated if anyone comes up with more on either him, or the Antigua Defence Force.

Bruce

Actually, it was last week.....I obviously didn't read it thoroughly enough, and it is getting late.

Oops!

Bruce

Update:

Now on the track of a death cert for Harris and have sent queries to archives in Antigua, asking for possible military background info. This with a view to putting him forward as a non-commemoration.

D