Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minature German Iron Cross 1914

biffrocks

I recently purchased this minature iron cross at the same antique fair as I purchased the cap in an earlier post. It is dated 1914 and has some makers marks on the back but I am wondering whether it was something made later than the WW1 period although it does have a feeling of age about it and also what it may have been produced for. Any help very much apprecaited. Again at 2 quid I couldn't have not brought it.

IRONCROSS.jpg">

Pic of reverse

IRONCROSS2.jpg">

Interesting, no idea of age but dont think its official as there was not laurel leaves on the iron cross. . The marks on the back look like 800, is this correct, if so its the quality of silver compared to Sterling which is 925. Trouble is with german medals there are lots of fakes even with silver marks and makers names even so its got to be worth the money just for the fun of finding out quite what it is.

Interesting, no idea of age but dont think its official as there was not laurel leaves on the iron cross. . The marks on the back look like 800, is this correct, if so its the quality of silver compared to Sterling which is 925. Trouble is with german medals there are lots of fakes even with silver marks and makers names even so its got to be worth the money just for the fun of finding out quite what it is.

Hi

I have had a look at the back again and yes it is 800 and not a makers mark and yes I think I am going to have more than 2 quids worth of fun trying to find out about the medal. Everyone I speak to tells me that it gets harder and harder to find things but I think it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time and a bit of luck. I brought a cap and an embrodiery to the Leeds rifles at the same fair all for what I think were reasonable prices. I am not sure if the embrodiary is WW1 period but guess I ought to post pics on the site and see what people think.

Thanks

again

Rob

one sold identical to your on the internet in dec for about £7 +postage so yours is a bargain. Ive had a quick look at some german medal sites and there are all sorts and quantities of the mini iron crosses, most look absolutly rubbish but have pretty high values attatched.

Here you go

http://ww2army.com/german/cross1.php

one sold identical to your on the internet in dec for about £7 +postage so yours is a bargain. Ive had a quick look at some german medal sites and there are all sorts and quantities of the mini iron crosses, most look absolutly rubbish but have pretty high values attatched.

Here you go

http://ww2army.com/german/cross1.php

Thanks for the info, the search continues as I'd realy like to know what it could have been produced for so hopefully someone out there will know why they produced this minature.

Rob

I second this recommendation...they are a very helpful and knowledgable bunch over there. I too am curious to hear what the 'ruling' is on this one.

-Daniel

Hi Daniel

I have joined the forum and am just waiting for confirmation of membership and then will post on their site. As soon as I hear anything I'll update this post.

Thanks

Rob

I.M.H.O. pieces like yours with the wreath are not official pieces, but, fall under "sweet-heart" items,

they are hard to date, because, the official Iron Cross I & II Class for the World War 1 period,

only carried the 1914 institution date to the front on the first Class, while the II Class carried the institution

date of the first ever model 1813.It was quite common for firms engaged in Medal production

to churn out unofficial items such as this, and the quality often was dependent on the expertise of their workmen,

items such as this also came under the name "Patriotika."

Not a lot of WW1 era pieces such as these or the original Iron Crosses have been "faked" very much,

however with regards the large size original crosses occassionaly you can come across an official period Jewelers one-piece

cast copy which the original receipiant prefered to wear in the field, to avoid losing or damaging the original piece.

Connaught Stranger.

I.M.H.O. pieces like yours with the wreath are not official pieces, but, fall under "sweet-heart" items,

they are hard to date, because, the official Iron Cross I & II Class for the World War 1 period,

only carried the 1914 institution date to the front on the first Class, while the II Class carried the institution

date of the first ever model 1813.It was quite common for firms engaged in Medal production

to churn out unofficial items such as this, and the quality often was dependent on the expertise of their workmen,

items such as this also came under the name "Patriotika."

Not a lot of WW1 era pieces such as these or the original Iron Crosses have been "faked" very much,

however with regards the large size original crosses occassionaly you can come across an official period Jewelers one-piece

cast copy which the original receipiant prefered to wear in the field, to avoid losing or damaging the original piece.

Connaught Stranger.

Hi Connaught Stranger

Thank you very much for your info.

Much appreciated

Rob

• 2 months later...

Just a guess, but with a wreath it's probably meant for a bereaved family member, may have been worn as a brooch pendant by a wife/mother or on a watch chain by a father. Without a wreath miniature iron cross devices are worn by civilian recipients.

khaki