Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Britsh cap ww1? or what date

biffrocks

I have recently purchased the cap in the pictures from a local antique fair. I am not sure whether it is WW1 or what date it relates to as there are no markings at all on the cap but it does have General service buttons sewn on the sides. I just thought for a tenner it was worth a punt.WW1CAP1.jpg">">">

I would say definitely post First War, I have in my collection a very similar cap which came with a 1922 jacket and was badged for the RA. But as you say not bad for a tenner.

It's the post-war pattern, with the larger peak - still a very good price at £10, list it on Ebay claiming it could be WW1 era and watch the suckers bids roll in! :innocent:

It's the post-war pattern, with the larger peak - still a very good price at £10, list it on Ebay claiming it could be WW1 era and watch the suckers bids roll in! :innocent:

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the info, I had a nagging feeling it wasn't WW1 but thought if I didn't buy it for a tenner I would end up kicking myself. Glad though that it's still 1920's as I don't have anything like it n my collection.

Thanks

Rob

Thanks for the info, I had a nagging feeling it wasn't WW1 but thought if I didn't buy it for a tenner I would end up kicking myself. Glad though that it's still 1920's as I don't have anything like it n my collection.

They kept making 1921 Pattern SD and caps well until well after WW2, at least as late as the 70's for the tunics, so it could date to quite a wide time period.

They kept making 1921 Pattern SD and caps well until well after WW2, at least as late as the 70's for the tunics, so it could date to quite a wide time period.

Hi Andrew

Would the buttons on the side of the cap help to date it, the lady I brought the cap off wasn't a militaria dealer and it had just come in a house cleareance so I think they are original to the cap.

Would value your thoughts.

Thanks

Rob

Would the buttons on the side of the cap help to date it, the lady I brought the cap off wasn't a militaria dealer and it had just come in a house cleareance so I think they are original to the cap.

Would value your thoughts.

Possibly - but with a catch. If they had the King's Crown on them that would date the buttons about 1902 to 1952 (basically interwar-WW2 era in this case). However, I've personally seen several of the tunics dated into the 1960's - the labels showed they'd been made without buttons, but they all had very tidily applied Kings Crown GS buttons. So the buttons must have been old stock when applied. I've been dealing with a load of ex-costume house military caps recently, and if you believed them as is, the cap badge usually says one thing, the chinstrap buttons another, and often only an original label inside gives the correct origins! :blink:

Possibly - but with a catch. If they had the King's Crown on them that would date the buttons about 1902 to 1952 (basically interwar-WW2 era in this case). However, I've personally seen several of the tunics dated into the 1960's - the labels showed they'd been made without buttons, but they all had very tidily applied Kings Crown GS buttons. So the buttons must have been old stock when applied. I've been dealing with a load of ex-costume house military caps recently, and if you believed them as is, the cap badge usually says one thing, the chinstrap buttons another, and often only an original label inside gives the correct origins! :blink:

Hi Andrew

Thanks again for the info, I feel through this site I am learning all the time and am grateful to all who offer their help and advice.

Cheers

Rob