Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badges

roygibson2@btopenworld.com

I would like to find out why some of these badges had South Africa 1900-1902 on them and some had Albuhera.

My father served in the 1st.Battalion and I have an embroidered picture of the regimental badge that has the South Africa wording on it.

Regular battalions wore the "Albuhera" honour; Territorials the "South Africa" one, the latter honour having been earned by their predecessor Volunteer battalions.

All battalions wore the Alhuera after 1917 when TF ones were no longer issued. Prior to that the 7,8 and 9th Territorial Bns wore the South Africa version from 1908. The 10th Bn had a blank scroll version. The Regular, Reserve (militia) and Service Bns all had the Alhuera version.

This version was made in all brass in the last 2 years of the war and was bi-metal for the remainder.

Regular battalions wore the "Albuhera" honour; Territorials the "South Africa" one, the latter honour having been earned by their predecessor Volunteer battalions.

Many thanks for that.I,m trying to find out the significance of this embroidered badge that my father had. according to the medal rolls he served in the 1st. and the 13th battalions.

All battalions wore the Alhuera after 1917 when TF ones were no longer issued. Prior to that the 7,8 and 9th Territorial Bns wore the South Africa version from 1908. The 10th Bn had a blank scroll version. The Regular, Reserve (militia) and Service Bns all had the Alhuera version.

This version was made in all brass in the last 2 years of the war and was bi-metal for the remainder.

Roy,

The SAfrica scroll were unique to the 3 TF Bns. he might have kept is a kepsake from some preWar TF service or simply come across it at a later date?

Many thanks Max.How would I go about finding out when he enlisted? I have his medal card which records his entitlement to the Victory and British War medals but does not give his date of entry.I have searched for his service records at Kew but to no avail. I assume they were amongst those that were destroyed.Frustrating!

If it is not on his record cards and his records have gone then it is impossible as far as I know. You might be able to identify a period from the batch number of his regimetal number but that is best asked in another section as I am not an expert on those.

If it is not on his record cards and his records have gone then it is impossible as far as I know. You might be able to identify a period from the batch number of his regimetal number but that is best asked in another section as I am not an expert on those.

Thanks again Max. I will take your advice an ask in another section.