Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform, Cap, And Rank Identification

deanstalton

Hi

I am researching my ancestry and wondered if anybody could HELP me identify the soldiers uniform, cap and rank.

I know the picture is taken in Preston, Lancashire, England

As i believe the soldier was born in preston.

Regiment is the Loyal North Lancs.

Rank appears to be Private.

The Overseas Chevrons point to late War.

Cheers,

Mark

Looks like a medal ribbon over his left pocket. As you probably know his name, have you looked for a Medal Index Card, either on the National Archives Documents online site - free look at the listing, but £2 to see the card itself; or via Ancestry.

Pte 10500 Edward Harrington arrived overseas 12th August 1914. I imagine that the medal ribon is for the Mons Star and a hard to see red chevron below the 4 blue. His MIC is mis-filed under 'Lancers' the MIC also notes that he was taken PoW,

cheers, Jon

Thanks For info

Been On Ancestry Found Medal Index Card, Would You Say This Fits The Bill Of The Photoghaph?

Also Will Pows Be recorded Anywhere?

Dean

Thought I recognised the photo! 8-) And you're in touch with the owner of the Williams Family Tree? You seem to have slightly more pics.

Edited to add: there's another two under "private trees": Caldwell and Needham/Wood. Can't view any details other than name, year and place of birth.

Have you come across the two private trees? I first tripped over this area by accident as Ancestry don't seem to make it obvious. I've checked and unfortunately the owner of the Caldwell tree has disabled their message service (despite - or maybe due to! - having 18028 people in their tree) but the Needham/Wood tree owner is showing OK so you could get a message through.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Louise

Yeah I,ve tried These Trees Before (No Response) the caldwell tree could have good information about the harringtons from preston

We put this picture on because it could have been richard harrington-1890-1956-However he was in RFA

Edward Harrington-1893-1969 We didn't Know however The picture shows he in loyal north lancashire

Dean

Been On Ancestry Found Medal Index Card, Would You Say This Fits The Bill Of The Photoghaph?

Dean

Most definitely!

He was entitled to the 1914 ("Mons") Star - an "Old Contemptible".

The Clasp & Roses to the Mons Star means he came under enemy fire before 22 Nov 1914.

He was also awarded the BWM and Victory Medal.

Mark

Thanks Mark

The man in photograph is the Man we suspected it to be.

I Got Some More Photographs Of Different Soldiers I'll Be Adding Over The Next Few Days

you Might Able To Help With

Cheers Dean