Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When was WW1 Norfolk Regiment No 41831 issued?

David Catlin

Can anyone help to determine when this number was issued. My Grandfather transferred from Bedfordshire No 31347, to Norfolk No 41831, but I would like to determine when this happened.

Many thanks

As I understand it, different battalions may have had different numbering sequences, so do you know which battalion he belonged too?

As I understand it, different battalions may have had different numbering sequences, so do you know which battalion he belonged too?

David,

Many thanks for your reply. The query is in relation to my grandfather Arthur Dean, who transferred from the Bedfords to the Norfolks. As I understand from the Norfolks Medal Roll he transferred from 7. Bedf. R. to 12. Norf. R.

Many thanks,

Dave Catlin

Ok, so I saw from your previous thread and my answer he served 3rd Reserve Bedfordshire Regiment, then 7th (at least on paper) and then 12th Norfolks.

Absent voters would be useful if you know where he came from.

DC

Taking it from the 12 Norfolks angle. They formed in Egypt Feb 1917, it says in LLT from the Norfolk Yeomanry. I recently took a look at another Forming in Egypt,from the Shropshire and the Cheshire Yeomanry,which became the 10KSLI. At that time several batches of reinforcements arrived from the UK to make up the numbers. I am wondering if it is worth a look at the 12NRs War Diary for Feb 1917 to see what numbers they received and from where. The WDiary is under WO95/4678. What I am suggesting could have happened is that,say,your man was wounded or sick,and returned to duty at a time when the Norfolks required soldiers.

It is likely that he didn't join them until at least Feb 1917,and maybe later,as they didn't exist until then. If he was 7 Bedfords in 1916 they had a hot time on the Somme so a wound would probably have been likely,and,with a few months to recover could easily fit my scenario. I was to add the 7 BR War Diary detail but the NA Catalogue is not co-operating,more concerned with "width restrictions" which one day someone will explain to me !

Sotonmate

Sorry to butt-in! My wife's grandad 301378 Tpr Lewis Brook was transferred from his original Regt, The Staffordshire Yeomanry, to 12th Bn Norfolk Regt and became 43813 Pte Lewis Brook Norfolks - I believe that happened in early 1918 before 73(Yeomanry)Div deployed to France (port of entry Marseilles). Just thought I'd share that one!!

Cheers,

Martin