Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lone Pine Memorial

Quew

:) MABER, GEORGE FREDERICK Private 6/967 25/04/1915 Canterbury Regiment, N.Z.E.F. New Zealand 75. LONE PINE MEMORIAL .

Does anyone have a photo of this mamorial please? George was a well loved brother of our Grandmother and her sisters. Thank you :)

Taken in September last year.

The view looks from the Brown's Dip Cemetery plot across the Lone Pine Cemetery to the memorial. The Australian panels on the memorial face towards the camera. As I recall the NZ panels are to the sides or reverse.

post-19-1084546332.jpg

The area looked different in 1920 before the cemetery was laid out and the monument built.

I can't find my picture of the newly laid out area!

post-19-1084546820.jpg

:) Thank you all very much for you replies and potos. Paul your site also was well worth a visit. Thanx again :)

Quew

I thought I had a photo of the NZ section of the memorial but so far have not been able to locate it but will keep looking. This a photo of a section of the memorial panel of the 15th & 16th Bn AIF.

post-19-1084601274.jpg

Malcolm

Here's a shot I took at Quinns in 2002. Just a different angle to the photo on Paul's site.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I'll add it to my file on Alick John Baker if that's ok.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

That's fine by me. One photo I took in the cemetery was of Jack Ainsworth who was one of Baker's fellow battalion members of the 16th Bn killed on the same date of May 2nd.

Cheers

Andrew