Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying arm stripe

lesley harding

post-53314-1266585795.jpgCan anyone help with identfying the arm stripe on this uniform? It looks as though a whole section has been sewn on, not just a stripe, and it doesn't look right for a lance corporal's stripe. This soldier was later a Lance Corporal and then Corporal but I think this was taken earlier.

Lesley Harding

Bizarre photo: he also seems to be wearing a wound stripe on the wrong sleeve. (I wondered if the photo was reversed, but the jacket buttons on the right side).

Have the stripes and the wound stripe been 'added' later?

Sorry - I think I asked the wrong question, not even knowing about wound stripes! Thanks for pointing this out but what I should have asked was, are the single chevrons for Lance Corporal? I should have put this under another subheading too, the one covering this topic but I saw that one too late! I also should have asked for help with chevrons, not stripes. Still learning ,as you can see.

Lesley Harding

Yes - he was 30513 Corporal James Savagar, 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. Don't know the date of the photo so it may have been before he was Corporal and I think he was Lance Corporal before that.

Lesley

Most unusual indeed - he wasn't a POW was he? The reason I ask is because his wound stripe is on the wrong arm and the L/CPL stripe when viewed closely looks as though it is what one would expect to see being worn by a German where the stripe is sewn onto a piece of cloth and sewn directly onto the arm.

I don't think he was a POW as his family know a few things about his war record, that he was injured in France etc so I think they would have known if he was taken prisoner. These chevrons are Lance Corporal ones are they? I thought they might be but they seem to have been sewn on, as you say, and so I wasn't sure. It's all very odd - perhaps his mother sewed them all on when he was home and got it wrong! If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear!

Lesley

Bizarre photo: he also seems to be wearing a wound stripe on the wrong sleeve. (I wondered if the photo was reversed, but the jacket buttons on the right side).

Have the stripes and the wound stripe been 'added' later?

I'm wondering if he has just been promoted and had these pinned on for the photo - hence the prominence of the chevrons/stripe. Photographers often had a range of "props" such as swagger sticks etc, and perhaps this is another example.

I know he was Lance Corporal at one stage because a letter survives from the Commander in Chief commending him for bravery in April 1918 and is addressed to him as Private/Lance Corporal.

Lesley

Sorry just seen the comment from Paul Manning - sounds like a good explanation to me - props would make sense? Thanks

Lesley

post-53314-1266585795.jpgCan anyone help with identfying the arm stripe on this uniform? It looks as though a whole section has been sewn on, not just a stripe, and it doesn't look right for a lance corporal's stripe. This soldier was later a Lance Corporal and then Corporal but I think this was taken earlier.

Lesley Harding

Dear Lesley

In the same situation as you, I posted 3 pics on this site recently and one was confirmed as WW1 Worcestershire Regiment. Out of interest I then looked on www.worcestershireregiment.com and was surprised to see a photo almost exactly the same as one of the other 2 pics (which had been dated as later than WW1 and therefore off topic). It was same place, same pose, different person and the webmaster was able to confirm it was also Worcestershire, give me a battalion and a date to within 2 years (1940-42). He is posting these 2 pics on the website in case anyone has further info. It may be worth you doing the same.

Lorraine

Hello all,

If you look carefully you can see he has the red felt triangle of 29th Division sewn above the stripes (4th Worcs. were in 88th Brigade) I know what Graham means, it does look like a German chevron. Bit of an optical illusion going on here! Having said that, the stripes are sewn on higher than usual. They also seem to be a little more acute in angle than usual. I wonder if he has used a good conduct chevron upside down as it were? I have noted a variation where the pattern is woven integrally with the worsted tape, rather than a woven item attached to a khaki backing as on the 'normal' type.

Kind regards

Tocemma

I wonder if he has used a good conduct chevron upside down as it were?

Good conduct and rank chevrons are one of the same, just placed on the arm differently, so you've totally confused me there Tocomma! It does look as though the L/Cpl's chevrons are home made. But as several have commented on... why the wound stipe on the wrong arm?

Seph

Hello Seph,

No not always the same. There exists a pattern of khaki woven tape which does not have a wool backing. These are wider than the standard chevron tape, and are stitched directly to the sleeve. I think this is what is being used here. These may be some kind of economy version, but I have never seen them used as anything other than good conduct chevrons. They have the 'V' pattern of the normal chevron tape, but are otherwise quite different. I am not at home at the moment but I will illustrate this pattern of chevron in the next couple of days.

As to the wound stripe I have no idea, which is why I haven't speculated. I have seen trade badges sewn on the wrong sleeve on ocassions, but I can offer no explanation of why he has the wound stripe in this position.

Regards,

Tocemma

Thanks Tocemma.

I've seen many variations of the herringbone patterned pre-backed chevrons, but not the example here, which I why I mentioned the idea it may be some form of home-made item for economy reasons. It will be very interesting to to see the information you have. This certainly bares on the fact that we learns omething new every day!

Seph