Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd (South Midland) Division

nthornton1979

I have been looking high and low but have been unable to find a history of the 2nd Division.

Does such book exist and if so has anyone an idea of where I can get a copy ?

Thanks

Neil

Neil

The 2nd Line South Midland Territorial Force Division was renumbered the 61st Division in Apr 1915.

http://www.1914-1918.net/61div.htm

To my knowledge there is no divisional history. However the recent reburials at Fromelles may have raised sufficient interest from people to encourage someone to write one.

On the off chance you were after the 2nd (ie Regular) Division - there is a reprinted two volume history available from the Naval and Military Press - but this will have nothing to do with the S Midland Territorials.

CWT

Thanks for that Colin.

It's actually the 2/7th Warwicks that I'm after.

I have been unable to find any books on their time in France. There's no Battalion hisory, no regiment history and no Division history.

I tried to get the war diary on disc but it's one that hasn't been digitised yet so I have absolutely nothing on them

Neil

Neal,

That's great, thanks for that !

I'm downloading it now. I usually pay someone to put them to disc and I was told it wasn't available and didn't even check it myself.

At last I have something !

Neil

If it's any help, the 2/8th R Warwicks were in the same Brigade as the 2/7th (until the 2/8th were disbanded in early '18); they have a nice little history, Black Square Memories, by H T Chidgey ("An Officer of the Battalion"). As they were so close, it may well be that information in this book is relevant to the 2/7th, so if there's anything specific you want me to look up, sing out.