Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries Of 27 Squadron RFC

deanstalton

Hi

I'M RESEARCHING A PIlot Called Captain Audubon Eric Palfreyman Who Died 23rd May 1918

Looking For War diaries

picture Of Crash Site ? i'VE Heard

Any Relating Information

I've Got Several pictures Of him,

Thankyou For Any help

Dean,

You will be wanting these:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...5011325&j=1

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;CATID=-1889856

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...p;CATID=5019257

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...p;CATID=5019240

There are a series of other parts to your squadrons history. Do not be surprised if the PRO do not want to quote - the are hopeless.

I think there are copies of these papers in the University of Dallas.

Hope that helps,

Simon

Dean,

This is Palferymans service record.

You can download this directly from the PRO for £3.50

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Simon

Ps - you might do better with this post in "War in the Air" - I only picked up by chance.

Cheers Simon

Just Got Service Records For A E Palfreyman

Just Been Told He Had Shot Down 1 plane From Aerodrome. Forum

Pfalz scout that crashed south of Douai at 10:45 on 20 May 1918; he was in DH4 A7840 and had 2nd Lt W G Hurrell as observer. He was lost in this same machine three days later (with 2nd Lt W I Crawford who was taken prisoner).

I'll Keep Hunting See If I Can Find Any more

Dean

PS Thankyou For Pic Cnock

In case you want to get an idea of the general area, this is the cemetery information, and I would believe he would be buried somewhere near the crash site. This was on the German side of the lines. With him being killed and observer wounded it seems clear that their aircraft was hit in the cockpit area, probably resulting in immediate loss of control.

RUDDERVOORDE COMMUNAL CEMETERY. Locality: Oostkamp, West-Vlaanderen. The village of Ruddervoorde is located 20 kilometres south of the town of Brugge (Bruges) on the N50 which runs between Brugge and Kortrijk (Courtrai).

I'm sure you also have that he was the son of the Rev. I. H. and Mrs. Palfreyman, of Hobart, Tasmania.

The family history Palfreyman records him as

Anderbon Eric Palfreyman, born 7 July 1892, Hobart, enlisted 17 May 1916, 2nd Lieutenant, 3rd Royal Flying Corps, killed in action, 23 May 1916, Belgium, aged 25

It would appear that 2nd Lt Crawford survived his serious injuries, as no record in CWGC database.

His father Reverend Isaac Hardcastle had 17 children, his eldest daughter married a prominent Hobart councillor Thomas Long and their son also was in the First World War. Their most famous son was Arthur Leonard Long, born 15 August 1896, at Forcett (2443). He enlisted on 31 May 1915, in the 6th Australian Flying Corps, and rose quickly to the rank of Lieutenant. He transferred to the Royal Flying Corps, and returned to Australia on 27 May 1919. He became a Stock & Share broker, and married Mary McKenzie on 8 July 1919, the daughter of Dr Forbes McKenzie, of Melbourne.

Arthur Long was the first man to fly across Bass Strait, on 16 December 1919. He had joined the Royal Flying Corps soon after enlisting in 1914, as did his uncle, Anderbon Palfreyman, and flew with the rank of Captain in low-flying attacks on German positions in France. After the War ended he returned to Tasmania with a single engine Boulton and Paul P9 biplane which he had bought with deferred pay, and shipped across Bass Strait on the MV Loongana on 20 September 1919. It was trucked to Hobart for assembly.

Thanks Kevin

i've been told on aerodrome forum that a picture of the crash site in some book called DH4/DH9 FILE?

also Captain A E PALFREYMAN Was Australian In RFC

Would The Observer Be Aussie Or English.

trying To find A record POW Lt Crawford? or any information of that day-A E Palfreyman Died-23rd May 1918

Dean

So Thats The Book! Wonder If Anybody On this forum Has That Book?

Just Sent For 27 Squadron Combat Diaries-From National Archives

Been told The Observer Was William Ivan Crawford-POW

Hi Dean,

Palfreyman was shot down at Maria-Aalter, this is not far from Ruddervoorde.

P.S. I have no problem that people use my pics (grave stone Palfreyman), but the least You can do is mention the source

Regards,

Cnock

Hi cnock

I thanked You For The Picture from The Ruddervoorde Communal Cemetery topic

Sorry i should added your name

Cheers Dean

Thanks Kevin

i've been told on aerodrome forum that a picture of the crash site in some book called DH4/DH9 FILE?

also Captain A E PALFREYMAN Was Australian In RFC

Would The Observer Be Aussie Or English.

trying To find A record POW Lt Crawford? or any information of that day-A E Palfreyman Died-23rd May 1918

Dean

Dean

I've had a look through The DH4/DH9 File, and can't see a photo of a crashed A7840. 2Lt W I Crawford need not have been Australian or English, but could have been any of the many nationalities who made up the RAF in 1918, eg Canadian, Irish, New Zealand, Scottish, South African, US, Welsh, etc.

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks Gareth

For Going Through The DH4/DH9 File Book

William Ivan Crawford Remains A Mystery For Know!

Cheers Dean

Thanks Cnock

Great Picture

I Have Been Looking For That Picture for some Time.

The Pilot Is A Distant Relative Of Mine.

Cheers Dean

Dean,

there must be others,

I remember having seen one with the serial number clearly visible

regards,

Cnock