Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

267287 L/Cpl J R Cowling Notts & Derby-Darlington

mark holden

Can anyone help point me to the news paper archives that would cover Darlington (Croft on Tees)? I have a casualty group to 267287 L/Cpl John Richardson Cowling who DoW with 2/7th Bn Sherwood Foresters. He was living at Bay Horse Farm Croft on Tees prior to enlistment and was a native of Sunderland. I am hoping that the local Darlington papers might have covered or listed his death in Dec 1917.

Many thanks

Mark

Mark

The Northern Echo covered that area, Darlington library has them on film but the quality is poor on some of the films. They may check for you but it may cost quite a bit as they would have to view quite a few copies of the paper bearing in mind the news of his death and report in the paper would be some time after he was killed. Although they did write ups on some officers, for the ranks I found they just recorded lists of the killed under the regiment heading.

John

Always worth a phone call to see if the library has a local history section which might have more info, or at least tell you if there are newspaper archives on microfiche etc... Also a local history group, again the library might have contact details. Sometimes churches have Rolls of Honour for men of the parish, and records might still exist with any background info.

• 1 month later...

Mark,

I was in the library in Darlington last Friday doing some research and took the opportunity to look at the Northern Echo archives for any reference to your man.

I looked from 7thDecember 1917 to the 31stMarch 1918 and could not find anything on him, the pattern seems to be lists of officers killed, missing, wounded or taken prisoner and separate lists of other ranks listed under “News of Local Men” giving the same information, the only separate reports are of men that have won medals (ie, V.C, M.M. etc). Maybe research into later editions might be the answer or a look in the “Stockton & Darlington Times” since he was living at Croft at the time, Next time I am in Darlington I will have a look.

I found that my mans name had been published within six weeks of him being reported

as missing.

spr261

Mark

If J R is on a memorial at Seaburn then the Sunderland Echo may be worth a look. If he hailed from Sunderland and someone had him noted on a Sunderland memorial then family might have strong connections in Sunderland. The library has microfilm copies of the Echo and in the deaths and memoriams columns there a section for war related deaths.

Regards

David