Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Diary 1916

MACRAE

Not sure if this will intrest any one but I have a diary to a R.A.M.C. pte from Jan 1916 to April 1916. Below is what I have transcribed so far.

Dan

Diary of Pte Adam Douglas Palmer

No 317 R.A.M.C.

Attached 18th Battalion

6/7th Sco Rifles

195th Infantry Brigade

65th Lowland Division

My Request 1st January 1916

If it is fated that I am to fall in this great world war , do not mourn for me longer than it takes you to destroy the notice of the last that I have left this world. Mother dear and Father , it is to you I make this appeal. And you Sadie ,if ever you read this request ,forget the hand that wrote it , for I have you as that if thinking of me should make you sad, I would rather you forgot me. And to you all ,if you ever read this book when my mortal body is returned to the dust , do not so much as mention my name , but let your love die with me, in case this cruel world should espy your grief and taunt you with my name when I am gone . Adam Douglas Palmer .

I intend to keep in this a short record of my movements and experiences or any interesting incidents , that I may find during my life in the army , not that others may read them but that I may have a little chronicle , which I trust may in the years to come be to me a binding link to the life of soldier in war times . AD

Saturday 1st Jan 1916

Britain entered the war 4th august 1914 I enlisted in the R.A.M.C 15th September 1914 attached to 6th battalion Cameronians (Sco Rifles ) of Falkirk 27th April 1915 , left Falkirk for Cambusbarron 22nd June 1915 attached 18th Battalion 2 6/7th Scottish Rifles November 1915.

My reason for entering my name just after the date of declaration of war is not that my enlistment caused sufficient disturbance to be marked down as an “event2 . Very few men can give the exact date of the opening of hostilities , now of the South African War , and I do not intend to be that way ten years hence, (if I am fortunate enough to come through alive) when a small note will make all the difference in the world so far as the present campaign is concerned .

Well I never thought that this New Years Day would find me still in the Army . Everyone felt last year that the was almost at an end - today the impression is that it is only commencing heaven help the nation if it is . Our total death toll is now 119.000 or about equal to the whole of the British army. But this contemplation helps no one..

This is my third day in the dirty smoky dear old Glasgow and tomorrow is the last day of my furlough then back to ----- . But I am ? . Never was such a quiet new year before true ! I brought in this morning in the midst of mirth and pleasure and I am very happy that I did , yet there seems to lack joviality about everything and celebrations are few. The was seems to have cast a heavy cloud between our people and the light of joy. Its is no wonder either for what how has not met some one in danger gone?.

Ah well I could write volumes in this strain , but I have spent a tiring day , so I’ll to bed .

Sunday January 2nd

My last day at home ! I wonder what the rest of the boys will be doing away through in Cambus barron today ?. Yesterday I had the impression that everyone was filled with foreboding about the war , but something gives me the impression that the people really believe that this year will end it. I hope it does . Here have I been since September 1914 and never seen active service , but I am sure that I shall be out before it ends . I have not quite recovered from the effects of my late nights lately although I have spent the day very quietly so I shall retire for the night now and prepare myself for tomorrows work.

Monday January 3rd

I left Buchanan Street Station at 8am . Train was full of men returning from leave , and station was crowded with friends , in spite of the hour , and heavy rain . Arrived in Stirling I am, and reached garrison half an hour later . Roads are in an awful condition . Back into the old rut again . Everything going as usual find I am on night duty to-night . My luck again.

Tuesday January 4th

Still the same old monotonous mechanical round again. Sick parades , medical inspections , clerking , taking men to field ambulance and sundry small jobs . It is raining heavily just now (3pm) and I hope it may continue . Night march on if it clears up ( how we love our work !) 7pm rain on march off it is said that 600 men are coming to us from the men who will be called up this month . My ! Wont they catch it from the instructors .

Wednesday January 5th

Nothing unusual happened to-day am just going to bed - a six foot log of straw , and three army blankets that are full of small splinters of wood which have a most unkind habit of penetrating the more tender portions of ones anatomy . It is far more comfortable than the feather bed with its sheets and quilts , that I get at home all the same . (since I got used to it).

Thursday January 6th

I am taking an unofficial holiday into Stirling this morning . Anything to for a change I have some dentures in my pocket which require alteration - just in case some inquisitive old josser should wonder what we are doing in town . We only say “Dental Business” . Sounds well too , but of course he is not to know that our dental business is to be done in a tea room. If no-one interferes , these dentures will give us another journey in the sweet bye and bye.

Five R.A.M.C boys were quartered in a mill

Doing nothing all day long , not even Swedish drill

There chief delight was making work for men to do

And this , there story strange I tell because its nearly true

One of these “red cross soldier boys “ become a sergeant soon

So-to use an old phrase-got high as the moon

The other four forlorn were left to live as best as they could

But after trying for some time they found it quite as good

These four boys for long were friends and everything went well

Till trouble broke out in the mill a one down with it fell

Then three were left to carry on- a melancholy clique

Two men gone from five , you know made all the world seem black

The little squad still about there duties as of old

Nothing to do the live long day-and did it well I am told

Then another trial came which their poor spirits bent for one got tired of working hard and off on leave he went

Now two RAMC men can do a lot of work

But - as there not paid for it they wont slave like a Turk

And as it chanced at eventide one stormy winters night

One chocked himself with army food to end his sorry plight

The other simply lived and lived a living death

So weak and frail he had become he hardly drew a breath

From morn till night he carried on in this I do not lie

He “carried on “ till carried off - for he also did die.

Oh help if anybody gets to that I have written that I’ll wake up some morning and find myself killed”.

Am on night duty again tonight

Friday 7th January

We spend the morning preparing our uniforms and equipment for a general inspection which did not come off and we spent all afternoon unpacking again

Saturday January 8th

Saturday is always a weary day for us. The battalion is free after 1pm but the medical staff must always have at least one , on duty , and when only two of us are here , it means that neither of us can get off for more that about 1 hour , in case of emergencies but duty is duty . That reminds me of a sentence I come across in a recently published book “ to go to the front deserves no honour, but to remain at home is disgrace . It is your duty to fight and who is honoured for doing his duty” rather unusual view of it one would think-but true.

I am again on night duty tonight the billet is deserted and the silence is oppressive and feels almost unnatural . It is like the calm before the storm, and I doubt not that we shall see little of our beds this night. These men are the heaviest drinkers I have ever come across, and my experience of this class is extensive enough bad beer is sold in our canteen in a few weeks to float a dreadnought . Why the profit for one Sabbath on our Sergeants Mess (which has only 40 men) for beer and spirits was £20. It is absolutely true. I got it from the mess caterer himself --- poor underpaid Tommy Atkins . The Sergeants Mess is a very strange and mysterious business they have a canteen which is only supposed to supply Officers of warrant rank and Sergeants , and the profits obtained from that go to the expenses of having special cooks , mess orderlies, and batmen (or servants ), it sounds all very well , when one hears what it should do , but it is a vastly different thing when it comes to actual practice. I shall remember a few of their misdeeds which I have seen with my own eyes- they supply any one with drink , who wants it , so long as no Officer is in sight . They sell alcoholic liquors during prohibited hours, they sell everything -anything hours after the time set for them to close. They supply civilians when they can do without detection . They lie to the OC when he asks how much is spent in it , but they enforce little rule with regard to the men’s canteen and the YMC hut . Such is the discipline of the army . It is disgusting .

We have plenty of mustard and water ready for anyone who may trouble us this night . He wont need to apologise-he will be sorry enough when we are finished with him- so I’ll slip in between my blankets and wait.

Sunday January 9th

The men must have learned wisdom from experience for no one disturbed us last night . The OC has inspected our rooms , he does not appear to pleased at our using half a pail of 2 ½ to cresol for the floors but as we have told the MO already our place is going to be clean whether the rest of the billet is or not. I have not been out of the billet since Friday night so I hope to get a chance tonight . I do not how we could exist if we had no rumours they form the only subject of conversation I wonder who on earth originates one half of them . Some of them show real genius and the originators really deserve a post on the journalistic staff of the London “Times” the paper which never makes a false report . Captain Thomson the Medical Officer has just given us improvement on the Majors rumour that 600 Derby recruits are coming to us this month . He says that we are only getting 200, which will give us a total strength of 600, which is likeliest ? How many more stories before the event itself?. Was lucky enough to get of duty this evening , so went to St Ninians .

Monday 10th January

Have been back at duty for a week now this week will be the same as last I expect , had absolutely nothing to do this morning, so wrote letters. Went down to Stirling and posted them in the afternoon.

Had a horrid tea served up again to-day two slices of bread and margarine and the usual mud for “tea” . we were all disgusted the M.O.s orderly said “ what could be worse than tea and this rotten bread?” I was severely handled because I said that bread and dry tea would . All the same the feeding at the home stations is a scandal . Good people tell us that we are better off “than those poor fellows at the front” that is rubbish. I have just come across the regulations for rationing in France , which are in operation at the moment.

The daily allowance for each man is

1 ¼ lb fresh meat or 1lb preserved meat

1 ¼ lb bread or 1lb biscuits or flour

4 oz of bacon

3 oz cheese

1/8 lb fresh vegetables or

2oz peas,beans,dried onions or dried potatoes

3/8 tea

3oz sugar

¼ jam

2 oz butter twice a week

½ salt

½ oz pepper

1/20 oz mustard

Of every one knows that occasional it is impossible to carry everything out as it should be done, but at home here they do not even allow us a decent meal. Our allowances are

¾ lb of freash meat

2 slices of bread twice daily (breakfast and tea)

2oz ham

3 oz cheese not fit to eat , fresh vegetables or potatoes

Tea

Sugar

Jam (twice weekly)

Butter

½ oz salt

Mustard

Pepper

Instead of butter we get cheap margarine , and very little of that . We get as much ham as would cover a watch dial . Our ¾ lb of meat includes fat and bone, and often ,almost always does so to the exclusion of the meat. all this I expect is to fit into the government scheme of economy their motto seems to be “get as much out of tommy as you can , and put as little in as possible “ this war is now eating five million pounds sterling per day . But W.G. Fitzgerald , has no right to state as he does in this months Windsor Magazine “ Much of this fabulous treasure goes in food” if it does it never reaches us “Nuff Said”

News has just come through to day that we have given up trying to force the Dardanelles the entire army’s of France and Britain withdrew without losing a man . A great triumph for the Turk. What difference will it make the war ?.

I am on night duty again and there is a medical inspection of D-Company tonight so I shall have to get ready for it .

Tuesday Jan 11th

Had a rather fright at 3am to-day was wakened by man screaming. Found he had been bitten on the hand , presumably by a rat . This is the second time that has happened . Last time it was the man in the bed next to him , who was bitten in the same mysterious way, on the nose. It may simply be coincidence that the beds were in the same portion of the billet , and it may not . Neither time was any movement as of a rat scuttling heard and no signs could be found of them it is weird billet this.

I have been wandering around doing nothing all day . For a wonder I am free to-night , but somehow I have no inclination to go out , I have got a feeling of haplessness about me tonight and cant shake it off. I think I always write my best letters when I am like this. So I shall buckle into my correspondence, and I will feel brighter when I have finished it, I usually do.

Wednesday 12th of January

This life of idleness is becoming unbearable . Time seems to drag by on leaden wheels . If this is a gentleman’s life , I am glad I am a simple private of His Majesties Territorial Army. I am really thankful that we occasionally are busy . I yawned so much to day that it is a wonder I did not dislocate my inferior maxilla.

Thursday January 13th

At the Standing Medical Board in St Ninians I come across a rather peculiar character . He was about medium height , and spare build his shoulders were exceedingly round and his arms hung at his side as though they were not possessed of muscle. His foa was that he usually designated hatchet his head reminded me of the Swedish turnip , and was supported on a neck like the telescope . His eyes were watery blue in colour and receding his eyebrows formed one continuous arch right across, and he had a very slight suggestion of a moustache, from his appearance he would be 25 years of age ,possibly more . His uniform was that of the field artillery , and very badly put on.

It would be two o’clock in the afternoon when I arrived with the men who were to go before the board from our unit, and we found our character straggling up and down the hall of the school in which the field ambulance was billeted , his hands were crossed behind his back in a regular Napolean fashion and in his mouth was stuck a pipe , he glanced at us when we come in and returned his shuffling muttering away to himself , and expectorating between his teeth at every alternate step, twice he passed us without apparently seeing us . He was halfway across the hall for the third time , when he suddenly whirled round and walked straight up to one of my men “Man John I didna ken if it was you or no I hivna seen ye sin I left Boden Camp. The remainder of his sentence was cut off by the man he had addressed placing his hand across his mouth, “ shut yer heid he said dae ye want a they Generals tae ken “ sorry John but hoo ur ye?, aye am fine whit are you daen here? , are ye up for a board? , “ No im getting my ticket “ (the ticket is tommies name for discharge papers) “ am huv been waiting threee hoors fur it tae” Here John burst into a hearty guffaw “what “ he cried “again ? Hoo lang hiv ye been in the tillary ?” “aboot three month ay ye can touch bit a hae better tall coach than you. This’ll be the fith time ive had ma ticket an its been a different crowd every time. You’ve hade yer ticket yince and noo yer in the rifles , this is the fith time ave had ma ticket a ken a thing ur five ho ho and so saying he gave John a playful dig in the ribs and resumed his marching about. When we came away two hours later, he was still chuckling away to himself as he moved about “ the fith time ive had my ticket he he the fith time”.

At Wisharts in the evening after tea , I met Millar and Smith of the 17th Battalion of the Rifles , and had a most enjoyable time. The conversation was all small talk, chiefly of the war and no particular value in itself but it made the time spin past, it would be after 11pm when we reached the garrison , so Smith and Miller went in through the back railing and ploughed through the wagon yard getting plentifully splattered with mud in the process. I accompanied them because it was a short cut and saved me going right around by the raod and in the west gate.

Friday January 14th 1916

Today is the day of days! This afternoon a grateful country will give 11s 9p 1/2p (Sterling) for sitting in Cambusbarron and yawning for a week, but as I shall be on duties at night, I shall not have a chance to clear my debts till tomorrow .

Saturday January 15th

Big march orders for Monday , dinner to be cooked on route in travelling kitchens . This is where we come in. We are responsible for the supply and purity of the water on the march . We will take all day to sterilise the “sterilising -filter water carts “ with which they have provided us for this purpose work at last!.

This is our heavy night usually but to night has been heaver than any we have had for a long while. Cases have come pouring in all day with the result that we have done nothing of our ordinary set work and our books are all behind . I should have been off duty but owing to the rush I have not been able to go out . It was half past nine before we could snatch time to make a cup of tea . No one outside the Army Medical Service would believe this,- that is why we will never tell them they cannot realise it, among our cases we had there very serious ones, at seven o’clock we were called to attend to a man of the 19th btn Royal Scots , as their medical orderly could not be found. Reid went up to examine in a few minutes he sent down for me . He asked me opinion of the case , on examination I diagnosed it as a wedge fracture of the middle third of the right tibia, Reid thought the same . We decided not to handel it, as it was a simple case, and to send for the medical officer of that battalion as we were not going to treat a man for whom we were not responsible . We made him comfortable and left him till the M.O. arrived , he in turn confirmed our finding dressed the man and had him removed to Hospital. Our other two cases were not of the same nature , they were men of d coy of our own batt . The tem of one was 103.2 f which is dangerous, 15 minutes later it had fallen to 102.8f with a pulse of 103 , we decided to leave him for the night . The other had a temp of 102.1f and strong pulse of 110 , his cough told us at once that he had gastritis , quite safe it was now 11pm , se we got ready for bed.

Sunday January 16th

My day on duty again the case we could not fix last night was 101.9f which is better than last night, but not satisfactory , the peculiar smell told us at once that it was a bad influenza so we are getting him ready for hospital; nothing to distinguish this from any other day.

Monday January 17th

Had a route march today for the first time in eight weeks , got word today that James McMillan is on home leave from the front , so I put in for a pass for tomorrow . Orderly corporal has brought my pas down I am going of now hurrah . Arrived in Glasgow 6-30pm sat beside escort going for a deserter coming down in the train, they had no notion that I was absent without leave . Wonder if they missed me at cambusbarron?. Ran into McMillan at the foot of Braeside Street and went home with him . He has not altered much , he can not get used to being away from shot and shell . Got away from their house at nine o’clock and made for home. Could not make up my mind at front to knock but at lenth summoned up strength . Lucy opened answered and shouted “ oh mother here’s addie” Mother came out with a face like chalk. I thought she was going to drop, she had persuaded herself that I was home to stay I was going to the front tomorrow . I had a job to quiet her fears, but at length persuaded her to stop worrying. Father guessed at once what had brought me home when he came in, and we sat and talked into the night.

Tuesday January 18th

My leave should have commenced at seven this morning, and I have been here for at least eleven hours, trouble awaits me if I have been missed , sufficient unto the day is the will thereof ; I did not get out of bed till 8-15 I could not resist the temptation to lie in when I got the chance. By the time I had cleaned my uniform , polished my brasses and brought myself up to the standard neatness required of his Majesties Army , it was lunch time till three o’clock I hammered the poor piano . Then I made tracks for Braeside Street about four o’clock Sadie and I went out for a walk through Maryhill and outwards Summerston. In the car on the return journey we encountered a lady conductor , I handed her a penny with the remark two, she punched one ticket in the ordinary way , but she made the other half -fare. You see she said ive made your ticket for a longer journey , because you can go for half fare , if you change your mind about where you are going all you have to do is to get another halfpenny ticket for the lady ! Wisdom of Solomon ! Did she think that we were taking a short run in the car to get rid of odd half pence? I left Sadie about six o’clock and went home for tea in spite of all endeavours to keep me. I had to let mother have a little of my company even if I am only home for the day to meet a friend. Seven o’clock however found me back. James and Mrs McMillan and Sadie were in the rest had gone to the circus , James went away to visit some Canadian friends in Partick but before he left he asked me to call for him on my road to the Station in the morning, after he was gone his mother could only talk about him all the time , and Sadie kept her going, until she went round to Gretta Howitt for something or other . Then I managed to work the conversation round to church work, and band of hopes and we talked for half an hour . I could see that talking of James was upsetting her , and that was why I changed the topic . Sadie came back then and we spoke of anything and everything till after ten. On arriving home, everyone was in bed. I go all my things ready for going away in the morning twelve struck as I stumbled into bed.

Wednesday January 19th

After a heart breakfast and a leave taking as short as I could make it, because I hate a display of emotion , I called for McMillan about 6-55am . He was ready waiting for me, and after taking a cup of cocoa , declared himself ready for the road. We walked down at moderate pace hardly exchanging a phrase in a hundred yards . Somehow ? I felt that in this fellow walking beside me , was a challenge first to myself not being in the danger zone, and then to others for not enlisting. I only wish I was out beside him I shall not be sorry at going. As we arrived at Buchanan Street Station , I heard the whistle blow for my train to leave. I shook his hand suddenly, I could not find the words to say “goodbye” the train was moving I opend the door nearest and tumbled in among some Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders on leave from France going home. The weary train journey past and the walk to the garrison made , and I sat down to bring this record up to date . I had a load taken of my mind , I must admit when I learned that I had not been missed by any of our officers , and here I am after being in the presence of men who have faced death for a heedless country, I who am still here after more than two years complete service-waiting -waiting-for what?.

Thursday January 20th

Had another rolicking night at Wisharts , with Smith and Millar. We didn’t get home till morning and made use of our entrance to the garrison not known to the authorities .

Friday January 21st

Felt the loss of last nights sleep rather much , but am still alive. Ran up against officer of “D” Coy and came off second best, but he is not finished with me. He will soon see that the R.A.M.C. are not to be treated as the men of the battalion are . We shall put a spoke in his wheel before long . Played “patience” all after-noon and evening. Derby recruits were called up yesterday . Wonder if we are to get any , Rumours of a move to England going around [“founded on Jack”] and that we are going back to the old second line 6th Cameronians .

Saturday January 22nd

Played patience long enough to work to a finish twice, on duty for the first night this week . Sadie I have been sitting looking at your photograph . It just fits into my pocket case nicely and it will go with me until its impossible to make out what it is . We have known each other for long now and we understand one another. Many alleged philosophers say “you will never understand a woman” experience is a more reliable teacher. Many a laugh has there been to our expense but it can make little difference , for it was the laugh of the fool, and the sneer of the worse than fool -the eyrie absence you are cruel , and strong and your strength is distance . But yet absence is presence I can find you lass far from prying eyes -in memory , thus through absence I both enjoy and miss you-when shall we get back to a settled and peaceful life !. This is the third day of the calling up of the Derby recruits so far only three have come to us since the are “D”Coy no word of going back to the 6th yet from official quarters . every time I open my new testament I read right through one of the books , I do not agree with the “chapter a day” business. To my mind the bible is not a book but a library of the finest books and each time I enter it I read right through one of the books.

Sunday January 23rd

The usual monotony was relieved by a fire alarm at 11am . The who brigade was lined up outside under five minutes . We were glad when the dismiss sounded , and allowed us out of the wind and rain . We are back again in the 2/6th Scottish Rifles, it was put through orders last night . The 195th Brigade now consists of the 5th and 6th battalions Scottish Rifles ( Cameronians) 4th Battalion Royal Scots (Queens Edinburgh Rifles) and the 9th Battalion Royal Scots Highlanders (The Dandy Ninth ) The 7th Battalion Scottish Rifles is now part of the 6th , the 8th of the 5th . The 5th and 6th BATTALION Royal Scots are part of the 4th and the Dandy Ninth is its old self . We must be about the crack brigade of the division now, and expect to make a name for ourselves when we enter the field. I was again at Wisharts with Smith and Millar , but got back at a respectable hour this time . When I entered our room I found a little unofficial tea party and did get bunked till nearly Monday morning.

Monday January 24th

More rumours circulating . We are only to be 600 strong when we leave , according to the latest one. The lads at the front are getting rather excited just now. Thursday is the Kaisers Birthday and the Germans are preparing a great attack for that day . We can look for the whole of the front line being destroyed at least. The losses will be terrific this time , but as usual the government will not publish the lists and will feed the people back home with tales of victories we never had . Another evening in at the Wisharts .

Tuesday January 25th

Did nothing said little thoughtless got drenched and dried twice

Wednesday January 26th

Assembly sounded at 2-15pm quite unexpectedly had loads of trouble packed all our medical stores , arranged equipment attended water filter test, turned out in pouring rain and marched about a quarter of a mile , wheeled and came back again. Unpacked stores etc again , and went down to cookhouse for our tea. Attended lecture by our officer on “gas defence” back into billet and changed into dry clothing and spent the evening after hopeless concert in the Y.M.C.A. hut, it has now come through orders that our battalion is to be made up to one thousand strong. Another age to wait .

Thursday January 27th

The German Kaisers Birthday ! Have the Germans made the great attack planned for the this day ? I wonder , is it now in progress ?, some people have no sense of the ridiculous our calendar to day says “German Emperor Born 1859. Oh welcome pure eyed faith, white handed hope . Thou hovering angel gilt with golden wings - Milton

Was it chance that made that verse appear for today - was it quoted ironically.

I must try and get through to Edinburgh to meet Malcolm Logan again before we leave . Many and many a time have I longed for the days when our little quartet was together in the 1st lowland at our depot . How scattered we are now Bob Findlay has been the disastrous Dardanelles expedition , the first failure of our arms in this war, and he is now in Egypt . Jimmie McLachlan is with the 1st Lowland Field Ambulance at Dunfermline , which is leaving shortly for Egypt , Logan is in the Medical Corp at Edinburgh and expects going back to the administrative centre in Glasgow and I am here in Cambusbarron, I wonder how many of us will come back after the war, yes I really must try to get McLachlan to come with me and meet Logan , soon who knows but it may be our last chance.

Friday January 28th

Another day struck of the calendar nothing attempted , nothing done , one more day lost 24 good hours gone for ever - wasted .

Saturday January 28th

Read and wrote all day and put in two hours in a Stirling picture palace at night .

Sunday January 30th

Spoiled my uniform and my temper in the disinfecting the isolation ward this morning , we have now had 22 Derby recruits sent to us , only four so far have been passed to us fit for war service in the field , the remainder goes to Edinburgh for coast defence on duty in the evening.

Monday January 31st

The first month passed , the war is no better from our point of view and no worse from our enemies . The Germans coup to celebrate the 27th of this month has had a measure of success , they have driven our men back about a mile all along the line. We are now anxiously waiting for the casualty lists , there is still no word of our getting away . I have used 101 sheets of paper for 43 letters this month and in return have received ten letters making a total of 30 sheets . Think I shall give up the struggle .

Here Edith the Journal of January .

February 1916

Tuesday 1st

Physical drilled all morning and cleaned water carts in the afternoon . Went to Stirling “Kinema “ at night to see the official cinematograph films of the British Army in France .

Wednesday February 2nd

Route March in the morning . Not worth turning out for . Did not go any more than ten miles. Loafed away the afternoon and went to see our old friend Charlie Chaplan in the Stirling Olympia at night.

Thursday February 3rd

Slept till 7-35 this morning and nearly lost breakfast . Battalion orders to-day have a par that we take to “mean something” routine all ranks must report at the battalion orderly room when going to or returning from schools , hospital or any special duty in preparation for a sudden move what is that ?. The brigade has sounded “assembly “ something on at last .

12-30

Something forsooth ! A humbug they gave us ten minutes to clear everything out of the garrison ,but we took 11 and a half. All the medical stores to be packed , Maltese cart loaded , and two water carts filled with filtered water (100 gallons in each) besides getting our own personal equipment ready , ten minutes indeed . I wish some of the high-hied yins had to do it and then after turning out , we had to stand over our ankles in mud for three and half hours with the rain battering down on us . Then the General came on scene accompanied by his swarm of “Red Caps” he paused beside us and began questioning the C.O. all your men here Colonel . Every one sir “all been issued with a hundred and fifty rounds of ammunition , yes sir. Every one got his iron rations , yes sir. Very good just dismiss the battalion . It was sorry comfort that awaited us whom did come in . We have been doing nothing for a quarter now. We feel like drowned rats , there is nothing so uncomfortable as soaked clothing the cooks have only just put the dinner on, goodness only knows when we shall get it, wish they had not made us hand back them tins of “Bully Beef “ 2-15pm “cookhouse” and rations sounding at last hurrah . 4.45pm have just come in from an afternoons Swedish drill . Now for tea.

10pm Was just getting ready for going out at 5-30pm tonight when the battalion bugle sounded “ warning for parade in half an hour “ at 6 o’clock we had to turn out for a tactical night march . I thought a dose a day was enough.

Why did I join the R.A.M.C

Why did I join the Army

Why did I join the R.A.M.C

Because I was jolly well balmy

If they play with us so much more there will be a mutiny

Friday February 4th 1916

This is the only day of the week -pay day (capital P) have had plenty of running about . Night alarm expected we shall not undress.

Saturday 5th February

The alarm did not come off after all. Spring cleaning day .

Sunday 6th February

Our place was shinning but the C.O. never come near us . I am to get out this afternoon and evening good. My usual luck ! . Was just going out when I discovered that my coat was missing, thereby hangs a tale!. Last night one of the recruits who had been a week here , slipped on a dangerous stair in the barracks and fractured his femur . The thigh bone is the strongest in the body and so are the muscles of the thigh consequently the fracture is the most troublesome one to reduce. The medical officer was sent for , but when he arrived the three of us had already got the ends of the bone in position and had fixed the limb and applied splints. We were complimented on having done the work speedily and well . The patient was in great agony and suffering from shock so we made him as comfortable as we could to await the coming of an ambulance. R.A.M.C. I shoved my coat under his head as a pillow, and gave him a glass of dilutes to stimulate the hearts reaction . When the wagon came I gave a hand to put him in and thought no more about my coat until tonight. I was going to wisharts at St Ninians but it was pouring of rain and I had lost my coat . after a tour of the whole battalion. I found it in the possession of one of the orderly room men, who was only keeping it for me. But by that time it was 10-18 pm so I did not get out after all .

Monday 7th February

I noticed that I omitted to mention that Arthur come back when were attending our patient on Saturday night . Good luck to him!.

Swedish drill in the morning . Bridge , whist, motor, Japanese whist, patience (three varieties) Dummy whist , “coon con” in the afternoon . Stirling Craigs tea room, and the Kinema , in the evening . “home” letters , and bed! Bed !, bed! , bed!, bed! At night. We got rather a drop this afternoon. The battalion was paraded for a short time and all the men with service since December 1914 were presented with Princess Mary’s Gift. Our squad has had service since September 1914 . But owing to a misunderstanding , they passed over us. Now we are wondering if the Royal Army Medical Corp’s will remember us ! Wrote letters all night.

Tuesday 8th February

Today is the same as yesterday and tomorrow will be the same as to-day . Always the same what makes me more upset is that I have an exceedingly bad cold I took 2 dozes of quinine sulphate before I sat down to write this that is double the ordinary dose, but it is intended to kill double the ordinary cold.

Wednesday 9th February

I awoke this morning to a day of misery . The disagreeable taste of quinine is still in my mouth. My head feels five times its proper size and I have to put my hands up now and again to hold it steady or it will over balance me . Every few seconds there is a thud on my temples , as of a steam hammer, and a red flash crosses my eyes . My hands are almost purple in colour owing to the slow action of my heart brought on by so much quinine . When I dressed this myself , I was done up . I felt unable to do anything, I could eat little at breakfast , after washing my mouth with an antiseptic, the horrid quinine taste was still there. It was utterly impossible for me to attempt to do any thing when I tried to walk across the floor , the boards seemed to move like waves , and I collapsed on the nearest bed , and lay there till dinner time , trying to ease my throbbing head, I was afraid to take come phena citin while the quinine sulphate was still in my system , although theoretically it should help me . One of the boys put my name through the sick report as “excused duty “ . when dinner was brought up I took a bowl full of vile stew but it was hot and comforting . When the Y.M.C.A hut was opened I went down with one of the boys and had a hot mug of tea which helped me wonderfully . I slept the rest of the afternoon and awoke at tea time much refreshed . It is now 8pm and I am about usual again . I have written several letters and I have written this note and now I am going to bed , to sleep off what remains of the drug in my system . It cured my cold even if it nearly killed me “ wisdom cometh by experience “.

Thursday 10th February

My usual self again today , went through the usual round and did not feel upset . Went down to Stirling Public Hall at night , to see a musical comedy , “the pearl girl” it was intensely interesting and exceedingly “humorous “ . the music was good , and the trifling expense was not wasted. It is the first musical comedy I have ever seen and it will not be the last.

Friday 11th February

Swedish drill and other imported horrors all morning . Nothing else all day .

Saturday 12th February

Another morning of physical jerks or “ monkey motions” too wet all day to go out so played chess drafts, bridge, whist and patience , and wrote letters.

Sunday 13th February

Another day of heavy rain. Went out for a walk up the glen to the north of Ghillies Hill Most romantic spot . Trees are getting very green again , and the little burn that runs down it is swollen and turbulent . Spring is coming in spite of the fact that the hills themselves are still robed in white , the fresh green of the fir makes a pretty contrast to the white snow pretty well drenched when I got back at dinner time. Changed “dined” and went into the Y.M.C.A hut to listen to the Royal Scots band passed the evening in “literary discussions “ , ( one way of being on night duty).

Monday 14th February

Cook severely burned by pot of boiling fat catching light. Face neck and arms involved bad case .

Got to sleep again about 3am and slept till 7-30am. The rest of the day went in the usual ding dong fashion. Violent storm during late afternoon and early evening .

Tuesday 15th February

Had a slight accident in going over the obstacle course, at the ten foot wall . Possibly ruptured myself . MO not quite certain, hope I have not as I do not want to go through an operation for it by choice , it saved me from the night march in a bad snow storm anyway 5.30pm postman has just left to go for letters which means I should get one about 6-30. Disappointed.

Wednesday 16th February

Thank goodness ! I was certified as “severely strained but not ruptured “ by the M.O. this morning. No duty all day , short walk at night .

Thursday 17th February

Under orders at last ! Leave here on Monday . Destination unknown join the 8th army on Tuesday morning hooray , went out to Wisharts to say goodbye .

Friday 18th February

A heavy days work making panniers for our stores. I am the “artist” of our section , so it fell to me to paint and mark them with the red cross . I wonder how the old folks will take the news of our departure ! I am glad and sorry that I cannot get home before I go. Glad because I am spared the sight of my mother being upset , which would also upset me - sorry because I should like one last run home . However -cant be helped as Shakespeare said “ twere better so” .

Saturday 19th February

Weary morning . Mother and Father come through in the afternoon . Piloted them through Stirling , and said farewell about 9pm . They both seem to be taking it very much to heart .

Sunday 20th February

Dismantling the garrison all day. Dead tired .

Monday 21st February

The day of our move revielle was at 6am, packed all the stores by 10am . Awful rush getting everything away . 2pm advance guards of the Gordons Seaforths and Camerons arrived to take over the garrison. First train of the Royal Scots leaving. 4pm Second train of 4th Royal Scots leaving. 6pm. 1st train 5th Sco Rifles just left. 9.30pm 2nd train 5th Sco Rifles leaving. 10.30pm our first train leaving. 12pm our second train leaves , garrison for entraining , I go with the lot there is no one left there now. Train left at 2am Tuesday .

Tuesday 22nd February

No use trying to sleep passed through Larbert , Greenhill , Glenboig, Coatbridge, Bothwell, Carstairs. 6.55am Passing through Carlisle now for breakfast of bully beef and army biscuits wish I had a hammer . 10-30am Stopped at Preston got big mug of tea from some ladies , bless them . Physical drill on platform . Into train and off again. Wonderful scenery , people in England are much more considerate than Scots people they at least give us a wave in passing . Passed through Crewe and Rugby . Snow commenced falling , carriage very cold . 6.15pm another stop at Peterburgh more hot tea awfully comforting , have been 16 and a quarter hours on the road now. 6.20pm off again within the aereal danger zone now , orders just passed down “draw all blinds and turn out half the lights “ it is not easy job trying to write in a troop train. 12pm moonlight still on the road exactly 24 hours since we left the garrison in Cambusbarron we have been 22 hours in the train.

Wednesday 23rd February

1.35am have just reached our destination no one to leave the train. Our new station is Brentwood Essex , England we are 18 miles from London must try to run up for a weekend or two. 2am have arrived at our billet . Two of us billeted in a house, our host is very good, make us hot cocoa and insisted on us making a hearty meal before going up to bed. We were bedded by 3am . We had no sleep from Sunday night till 3am on Wednesday morning.. We were up again at 7am . Exceedingly busy all day hunting for places for billet , inspection rooms, medical rooms, orderly rooms and stores . We are in and awful “mixup” we could not get any breakfast or dinner, and had it not been for our landlady we should have had anything at all to eat. Spent a considerable amount of money in food as a result got to bed again at 10.15pm .

Last of the diary Zeppelin attacks etc

1.35am have just reached our destination no one to leave the train. Our new station is Brentwood Essex , England we are 18 miles from London must try to run up for a weekend or two. 2am have arrived at our billet . Two of us billeted in a house, our host is very good, make us hot cocoa and insisted on us making a hearty meal before going up to bed. We were bedded by 3am . We had no sleep from Sunday night till 3am on Wednesday morning.. We were up again at 7am . Exceedingly busy all day hunting for places for billet , inspection rooms, medical rooms, orderly rooms and stores . We are in and awful “mixup” we could not get any breakfast or dinner, and had it not been for our landlady we should have had anything at all to eat. Spent a considerable amount of money in food as a result got to bed again at 10.15pm .

Thursday 24th February

Did not rise till 7-45 this morning . Feel dead tired . Have not had one minute in which to sit down . We had the same caper all over the place as we had yesterday and the same confusion in the issuing of rations. Two slice of dry bread and two oz of ham were all for breakfast . We made arrangements with the landlady to supply our dinner. That finished our money. At tea time only four loaves of bread were provided for forty five men , and half a pound of butter . Tea had brown sugar in it and no milk . It was horrid , got up to bed not for sleep at 9.45 pm at 10.36 pm the alarm sounded through the streets and we had to get out of bed , dress and turn out with full equipment and kitbags packed , at 11.30 we were sent back to our billets to sit with equipment on and wait for “assembly” to sound.

Friday 25th February

We have had enough of waiting for “assembly “ to sound and we are going to sleep on the floor . 08.30am we awoke . The alarm is not yet over and we are to stand bye. 12.00 noon we are still standing bye. Our rationing allowance for today 6oz ham 1lb butcher meat . 4 slice of bread “ your king and country need you this is how they feed you” ordered not to undress tonight but to lie with equipment ready for immediate alarm . No bugles are to sound , but the pipers will pass from street to street playing the regimental march -past. Went to bed at 10-30 our only covering-a couple of great coats .

Saturday 25th February

Rose at 8.30 this morning had a trot around the town on the Medical Officers Horse. Went back to billet write letters . We are still standing bye , but goodness only knows what for . Have not had our clothes off since Sunday six days ago, on duty all afternoon and evening.

Sunday 27th February

Did very little work and wasted much good time .

Monday 28th February

Killed the day in the same old way.

Tuesday 29th February

At least know the meaning of our stand bye. The French were all but defeated at Verdun on Thursday . The Germans broke the line. Completely and would have had the whole way to Paris open , had not our Australian force hurried to their help . We were almost ordered over to stop the threatened German victory , but as soon as the allies regained the upper hand our division was ordered to remain where it was . I have been given to understand that it was by the nearest freak of chance that were not cantering right across to the continent , had the Australians not arrived in time, I should have had a really different entry to make today in my diary. As things are however , the 65th division of the 8th army , is not yet in any great danger of going east .

Wednesday

Begins a new month so I shall honour it by commencing in a clean page .

Wednesday 1st March

All excitement over we are back to our usual hum drum existence .

Thursday 2nd March

A day nearer the end .

Friday 3rd March

Our first payday in England . The money not last long . Most of it went in paying the billet landlady for the food she had provided for us .

Saturday 4th March

Sat in house and played cards and the piano all day, it has been snowing ever since we come down here and the English blame us “Scotties” for bringing it with us. Snow has not fallen so heavily in Essex since 1885 .

Sunday 5th March

Our little squad went for a good walk across and beyond Sheffield common in the morning. In the afternoon we went towards Romford but turned before we reached it, to get back in time for tea. At night we watched London’s searchlights hunting the clouds above us for enemy aircraft it was impressive .

Monday 6th March

We did little today I understand what the searchlights meant now . A zeppelin passed over here about 3oclock this morning. No damage was done , one man was blown to atoms . Never mind ! Our time is coming. Revielle sounds through the streets 6am and we were turned at 8.45 fully equipped in our field service order with all our stores packed and the water carts filled. We marched to an estate about quarter of a mile out of town, and stood to attention there from 9oclock to 11.30. Several men were overcome by the cold and I felt very nearly away with it myself several times. I never was that way before, at about a quarter past eleven , a lot of old fogies with red bands round there hats walked past us without looking at us , and the band played a waltz tune. We had been inspected by the General Officer Commanding third army.

Tuesday 7th March

It snowed again to day, and we did “duty” in our billet .

Wednesday 8th March

More snow today no new work to do .

Thursday 9th March

An airoplane passed over us today at 11.20am , at great height and travelling very swiftly towards Southend on Sea . It was almost certainly British , but it was so high that we could not distinguish its markings, has this got anything to do with the rumour that the German Grand Fleet is in the North Sea?.

Friday 10th March

Another week nearly past .

Saturday 11th March

Walked about 10 miles to a place called Dry Street Pillage . Had a pleasant evening at a Scotch farmers there a friend of Arthur’s . were driven half way back and arrived home about eleven o’clock , report of a revolver at back of our house at 11.18.

Sunday 12th March

Learned that M.O. is under close arrest . Had it anything to do with that revolver shot?.

Monday 13th March

Humdrum day

Tuesday 14th March

The same .

Wednesday 15th March

No different

Thursday 16th March

Still the same

Friday 17th March

Pay day once again .

Saturday 18th March

The last day of an uneventful week.

Sunday 19th March

Went down to Dry Street for the day .

Monday 20th March

Very busy getting ready to move again.

Tuesday 21st March

Marched from Brentwood to Broomfield Essex a distance of fifteen miles in pouring rain.

Wednesday 22nd March

Settled down in our new quarters .

Thursday 23rd March

Explored Chelmsford .

Friday 24th March

Another pay day .

Saturday 25th March

A glorious day. The first we have had since leaving Scotland .

Sunday 26th March

Visited the congregational chapel in Chelmsford .

Monday 27th March

Visited the Cathedral in Chelmsford.

Tuesday 28th March

Observation balloon sailed over Chelmsford today.

Wednesday 29th March

Back to the uneventful .

Thursday 30th March

A beautiful day and a more beautiful night.

Friday 31st March

The last of March and Pay day .

1916 Saturday 1st of April

Two zeppelins attacked us at one o’clock in this morning , we destroyed one and captured 25 of the crew . The airship fell into the Thames and sank . Visited London in the afternoon . Left for Broomfield again at 11pm.

Sunday 2nd April 1916

Got into the billet at 1am from London .

Sunday 9th April

James McMillan was killed today when leaving the trenches.

Tuesday 25th April

Marched from Broomfield to Hatfield Peveril Essex. Encamped about 9pm Joined detachment of Sherwood Foresters (transferred to our battalion ) Zeppelin bombed us at 11.45pm. No casualties .

Wednesday 26th April 1916

Again raided by Zeppelin .

Thursday 27th April 1916

Terribly hot day . 7pm Terrific thunder storm. Thunderbolt burst beside ammunition tent and nearly knocked it over. I was only five yards off, and was blinded for some time by it, the report of the explosion was like the bursting of an enormous shell followed by a sound like the firing of a volley round ones ears. The lightning was flashing dangerously close , about three times a minute , and the storm lasted an hour . Trees and everything prominent for miles around were destroyed , and we cannot understand yet how the ammunition escaped . Zeppelins bombs are a pleasure to that. We can see them coming and can get cover , and we can also hit them back but there is no escaping the dreadful terror of a electric storm in which no rain falls and the air is so hot that it is almost impossible to breath.

Diary ends Pte Adam Douglas Palmer 235371 killed in action on 25th April 1918 . Mentioned on Tyne cot memorial. Son of Edward and Nellie Palmer 122 Wilton Street Maryhill Glasgow .

Thank you for posting this.

I always want to know what it was like to 'be there' and reading about Pte Palmer's time spent in Scotland was fascinating. Yet another part of life during the war which I hadn't given a thought to.

And then he moved to my part of the world! And now I know a bit more about life around here at that time too. I went to school on Shenfield Common, (not Sheffield Common as he thought). All the other places where he was billeted are well known to me.

Dry Street is a village near Basildon.

Regards

CGM

CGM I was probally me when it come to Sheffield instead of Shenfield his writting is a bit blurry at times . So there is probally more I am going to take some pictures of the drawings in the album and post them soon.

Dan

Looking forward to them.

Can you tell me a bit about Cambusbarron? I've done some searching but not really found much. Was it an existing barracks?

CGM

• 1 month later...

I have now been given the letters the brothers sent home all 100 of them from Ireland and England none from France or Belgium. A fair bit about the problems going on in Ireland and how he describes Ireland as a powder keg about to explode in 1917.

Dan

Looking forward to them.

Can you tell me a bit about Cambusbarron? I've done some searching but not really found much. Was it an existing barracks?

CGM

There is one letter with a MAP of Cambusbarron Camp.

Dan